Mounting a Zoo Med Reptisun UVB/LED

Polkadot

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone,

Opted to go for the new Zoo Med Reptisun UVB/LED over my open top table.

Noticed though that it doesn't come with a reflector or holder. It's just an E27 screw in lamp effectively. They do sell terrarium hoods for it but I can't say that would be practical to suspend over a table and would also look rather bulky.

Anyone using this or have any idea how it could be mounted above a table?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, Since it’s an E27 screw in bulb, I would think you could easily use a “modern” looking incandescent gooseneck desk-type lamp. The flexible gooseneck will help you position the bulb horizontally & at a proper distance.

Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,

Opted to go for the new Zoo Med Reptisun UVB/LED over my open top table.

Noticed though that it doesn't come with a reflector or holder. It's just an E27 screw in lamp effectively. They do sell terrarium hoods for it but I can't say that would be practical to suspend over a table and would also look rather bulky.

Anyone using this or have any idea how it could be mounted above a table?

I went to one store and looked for an adjustable lamp like what Mark suggested, and they didn't have anything suitable there. More effort might have located something, but I settled on a small domed clamp lamp. I removed the dome, screwed a horizontal 2x3 to my stand for another light, and mounted the LED in the horizontal clamp lamp fixture. I'll get a pic or two later today for you. I put a screw into the area where the clamp of the clamp lamp is set, so it cannot fall.

Polkadot

UK
Thank you both for replying. Good ideas to think about. Tom that would be much appreciated if you could upload a picture. I think I understand but a picture to confirm would be fantastic. Because I don't know how big or heavy it is, it's difficult to anticipate what stand it would need. I've asked zoo med if they can provide any measurements but at the moment I'm using a mercury vapour bulb temporarily and I'm desperate to get rid of it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey guys

I sent Zoo Med a question on this, here is there response

Thank you for contacting us. The bulb is 8.5 inches in length.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer D.
Director of Customer Service
Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lights were out, but here are three different views:
IMG_6243.jpegIMG_6244.jpegIMG_6245.jpeg

And I bought one of these to mount inside my closed chamber. I'll get a pic when it is done:
IMG_6242.jpeg

Polkadot

UK
Thanks for taking the time to take those Tom, slightly different than I envisaged so pics were very helpful.
Thanks Maro, it's quite compact then, I think I'll be able to fashion something now to hold it next to the table. Thanks again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for taking the time to take those Tom, slightly different than I envisaged so pics were very helpful.
Thanks Maro, it's quite compact then, I think I'll be able to fashion something now to hold it next to the table. Thanks again.
The one in the picture is over my bearded dragon enclosure. I'll send more pics once I mount the tortoise one.

Polkadot

UK
Brilliant thank you very much. I'll be switching to an enclosed chamber shortly so would be interesting to see. At the moment because of heat from the bulbs I can only enclose at night.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Brilliant thank you very much. I'll be switching to an enclosed chamber shortly so would be interesting to see. At the moment because of heat from the bulbs I can only enclose at night.
Use lower wattage bulbs then. I only use 25 watt bulbs in my 8 foot long closed chambers.

Polkadot

UK
This is where I've got to at the moment. I bought the lowest watt basking Arcadia bulb I could find

But being in the UK it's hard to find normal incandescent bulbs now. The 50w hits the upper temperatures for a hermans, was around 80f just at the cool end so no scope for summer temp rises when they arrive.

I don't have any confidence picking something that's not reptile branded. Is any normal floodlight bulb suitable as a basking light. Figure if I can drop the temp slightly and use an LED for the UVB it would probably work out nicely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is where I've got to at the moment. I bought the lowest watt basking Arcadia bulb I could find

But being in the UK it's hard to find normal incandescent bulbs now. The 50w hits the upper temperatures for a hermans, was around 80f just at the cool end so no scope for summer temp rises when they arrive.

I don't have any confidence picking something that's not reptile branded. Is any normal floodlight bulb suitable as a basking light. Figure if I can drop the temp slightly and use an LED for the UVB it would probably work out nicely.
Reptile branded just costs more. I get most of my tortoise supplies at hardware stores, including heat lamps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Polkadot

UK
Thanks Tom that makes sense, think this one will be correct? Says flood in the desc.

Do you think the voltage of the bulb matters? I take it if one has a very low voltage then the heat output would be a bit poor?

I did wonder if the 50w Arcadia bulb could be run through a dimmer to control the heat output?

Last edited:

Polkadot

UK
Interesting you mentioned round ones, they are much easier to find and I never knew they could be used.

This site is very good with options to filter.
I take it round is just the traditional shaped bulb.

One like this

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting you mentioned round ones, they are much easier to find and I never knew they could be used.

This site is very good with options to filter.
I take it round is just the traditional shaped bulb.

One like this

I prefer to use "frosted" bulbs as it diffuse the light better.

Only your thermometer can tell you if a given wattage is enough or too much.

Any incandescent bulb can be run through a rheostat, but MVBs can not.

Polkadot

UK
Thank you so much Tom, I have some confidence now in what I'm looking for.