Moss in the woods ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Not really. What you have can be used in your tort enclosures, etc, but it's not the same as sphagnum which grows in thick bogs.

image.jpg

From wikipedia, Individual peat moss plants consist of a main stem, with tightly arranged clusters of branch fascicles usually consisting of two or three spreading branches and two to four hanging branches. The top of the plant, or capitulum, has compact clusters of young branches. Along the stem are scattered leaves of various shapes, named stem leaves; the shape varies according to species. The leaves consist of two kinds of cells; small, green, living cells (chlorophyllose cells), and large, clear, structural, dead cells (hyalinecells). The latter have the large water-holding capacity.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
View attachment 183208 View attachment 183209 Is this the same as Sphagnum moss? It's all in the woods here .
I would kill (not really) for being able to find moss like that where i live! I have to spend pretty high dollar on dry one and rehydrate it. Sometimes it comes back but most times it doesn't. You are so lucky to have that!!!! With it you can create the most beautiful enclosure for your per and nice addition to your living room

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lovely moss, but not Sphagnum.
Should be fine for your tortoise, but not particularly for the moss.;)

Knap_123

Went to a creek close by. Just looking around. Lots of mosses. But not Sphagnum moss. I did get a 40lb bag from home depot. And I'll use some local mosses as well. Some of my phone pics messed up. But you can see of the moss.IMAG0676.jpg IMAG0675.jpg IMAG0678.jpg IMAG0704.jpg IMAG0697.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
To me, the moss you have beats the sphagnum! If you have such an abundance of different mosses you could make it into a business : collecting/growing/shipping to places like Texas, Florida where it doesn't grow that well

Knap_123

Please do, it won't be a big deal. It's like literally everywhere here! I'll fill you a flatmate box full.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Please do, it won't be a big deal. It's like literally everywhere here! I'll fill you a flatmate box full.
We may do a little swap. I can send you something "texan":) but let's wait for that horrible heat to stop. I can't wait till October! November, December.., ahhhh...!...

Knap_123

Hey pearly, went hiking today and found some neat Moses. A few shots of the scenery. IMAG0765.jpg IMAG0735.jpg IMAG0744.jpg IMAG0828.jpgIMAG0802.jpg here's a few closeups of different mosses. Moss 1 IMAG0743.jpgIMAG0834.jpg IMAG0742.jpg moss # 2 I like these! There like little puffy IMAG0754.jpg IMAG0763.jpg IMAG0831.jpg IMAG0804.jpg islands. and moss #3IMAG0835.jpg 2 & 3 beside each other IMAG0760.jpg moss # 4IMAG0779.jpgmoss # 5IMAG0768.jpg IMAG0773.jpg moss # 6IMAG0798.jpg IMAG0813.jpg IMAG0809.jpg IMAG0793.jpg moss # 7 IMAG0775.jpg and few more pics. This has a mix it seemsIMAG0829.jpgIMAG0829.jpg IMAG0807.jpg IMAG0790.jpg IMAG0789.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0793.jpg
    IMAG0793.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

Pearly

5 Year Member
East central, Alabama
Hmmm, so it gets hot there where you live too, but i think your soil is different. I know even here East Texas is sooooo different than where I live. Our soil is very alkaline, lime stone and red clay. Who knows, l maybe surprised by what my own State has to offer if only willing to take time to explore:)

Pearly

5 Year Member

Pearly

5 Year Member
Welcome! Got any good Texas Flint in your area Pearly?
I wouldn't know if we did! I haven't been off the beaten path in decades, and when I do get down and dirty it's just in my own garden. My life is hectic and crazy (but overall good!) so I don't get to explore. Not enough hours in a day to do the stuff that keeps the household running, never mind... something ... like... fun??? Maybe in the afterlife:) but seriously, we have a creek just a mile from the house. It's in a little wooded canyon, so likely big enough to harbor some moss species there. I've just never been inspired to get down there on foot to explore, risking some water moccasin or rattler encounters ... And sorry! All reptile enthusiasts, seeing a wild snake in my walking path would probably give me a major anxiety thing... But! But! Now with all those gorgeous photos of the moss you've been posting, I am more inclined to work against my phobia and lack of time. You know, how that is, that proverbial "time" is really more about the motivation than anything else:) so thank you again for delivering a much needed kick to my rear to get me out of my comfort zone:) meanwhile, please share your mosses with us here