Moss in a hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Is it ok to put some kind of moss in my torts hide for humidity or will he eat it and get hurt from it. I noticed in another thread of a sulcatta with it in his hide so I was curious If I could add it.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I use sphagnum moss in my hide they seem to like it bury themselves in so you can only see a little bit of the shell :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also use sphagnum moss for him to sleep in. I however think you are talking about the kind of moss that grows outdoors, very short green type moss? If so I remember reading something about certain mosses being edible, but not sure. Maybe someone will add to this. If not you could look it up on one of the sites that list edible plants, off hand I can't think of the name of the site.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Oh no just store bought stuff. I'm still afrai of using outside stuff unless it's weeds

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use the long fiber moss as well. I wet it in hot water, and squeeze it out and fluff it up. When mine were hatchlings, they had to dig their way into the moss. Now that the oldest one is almost 5 I still put a lot of moss in there, and do the same thing. I change it once a month, but wet it about once a week. I have Cherry Heads. Outside in the Summer I use dried leaves and pine hay.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I use the long fiber sphagnum moss as well in my hatch lings hide.
She loves it and sleeps most of the time in the moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.