Morty update

Shellhugger

image.jpg So my Morty was acting weird and in a post people suggested I get a new bulb. What do you guys think about these? I'm looking for approval before I use them for Morty

..and for those that need the details it's a young hermann living in an encl

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Them coil type lamps have been known to burn tortoise eyes . I would not use it .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto, not the coil one. They not only have harmed tortoise eyes, but other reptiles too. Is this for an aquatic turtle and for heat only? The other bulb, doesn't say anything about UVB that I can see.

Shellhugger

The one is a UVB that I currently have on , and it's tube shaped. Should I use the heat one too at the same time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, and going from what I've heard and experienced with them, the compact fluorescent bulb in your picture is ok to use IF you mount it horizontally, and NOT vertically. Those bulbs concentrate the UV out the end of the bulb and can be harmful to young tortoises' eyes.

Shellhugger

Are you talking about the 50w halogen bulb or the tube bulb? I got the tube UVB light because I thought that was the best. The halogen heat bulb doesn't have UVB in it. So I'm just confused which bulb you're talking about?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
In my opinion, and going from what I've heard and experienced with them, the compact fluorescent bulb in your picture is ok to use IF you mount it horizontally, and NOT vertically. Those bulbs concentrate the UV out the end of the bulb and can be harmful to young tortoises' eyes.

Is that right. I learn new things everyday here. I will give that a try........

Thank you Yvonne.