Mort, male leopard problem (blood)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Mort is an 8 year old leopard. I have had him since hatchling. He was our 1st tortoise He weighs just under 6 pounds. His first 3 to 4 years, we did not care for him properly. Bad pet store advice. Our dog got him in 2012, no severe damage, but he ended up with an RI. My research to get him well brought me to TFO, and drastically changed the care we had been providing. As I learned, I got more tortoises. Mort is the male of my 1.2 breeding group.
This sping I put them all together. After a couple of weeks, i found blood. After verifying it was from Mort, I separated him for 6 weeks. There was occasionally blood in his enclosure for a week or so, then it stopped. It was assumed to be an injury. After 6 weeks I put him back with the girls. His 1st attempt to mate caused bleeding again which included a large clot.
The vet did xray, blood work and fecal. No explanation there. I took him in for a sedated exam of his penis. It is normal, no injuries.
My vet is currently reviewing the blood results and running more analysis on fecal to decide which direction to continue looking for the cause of the bleeding.
Any knowledgeable opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen this before when breeding is involved. It's usually nothing to be worried about. If the female isn't receptive, and the male is "hanging out," he may get injured, but it usually doesn't amount to much more than a little abrasion that bleeds a lot.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
But the penis has been examined, and no visble injuries. The blood clot was 2 inches long. It happened twice with different females over 6 weeks apart.

Kasia

Poland
But the penis has been examined, and no visble injuries. The blood clot was 2 inches long. It happened twice with different females over 6 weeks apart.
Does he pee normally? Maybe while rectracting his penis he pulled something that is irritating his cloaca from inside? Is he bleeding while peeing? Maybe week or two on paper towels would give you some more clues on whats going on. All the best to Morty :*