Morning Routine

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hey,
I wanted some opinions. I have a sub adult Russian Tortoise and I'm not sure if I should wake him in the mornings. I have an 8 month old leopard that gets put in her water bowl (freshly filled with warm spring water) for a morning soak. I don't think my Russian really needs a soak, but does anyone have a morning routine with their adult torts? Like maybe pulling them out and letting them bask to jump start the day?

Destben

Kansas
I leave mine alone personally but do evening soaks.....my guy is not an early riser and usually sleeps until 11am, lol
It seems like my new tort isn't either. I left him today to see if he would get up on his own and came back at lunch time to him still sleeping. I had to drag him out for a soak, then he started eating.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This morning it was 57 F when I got up. Charlie was half way out of his night box, sound asleep. I wonder why he thought it was a good idea to start coming out when it was so cold! Usually he doesn't come out until much later in the day. Sometimes during the winter, he doesn't start moving until 3 PM.

The lights should encourage them to wake up. Do you have them on a timer?

Destben

Kansas
This morning it was 57 F when I got up. Charlie was half way out of his night box, sound asleep. I wonder why he thought it was a good idea to start coming out when it was so cold! Usually he doesn't come out until much later in the day. Sometimes during the winter, he doesn't start moving until 3 PM.

The lights should encourage them to wake up. Do you have them on a timer?

I do with my leopard I just have to set the timer for my Russian I’m just switching his lights myself right now. I’m just use to my baby leopard torts schedule and she gets up on her own now for her morning soak and food so it’s really weird to me that my Russian sleeps so late.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I do with my leopard I just have to set the timer for my Russian I’m just switching his lights myself right now. I’m just use to my baby leopard torts schedule and she gets up on her own now for her morning soak and food so it’s really weird to me that my Russian sleeps so late.

Two totally different species and behaviors....once you set up the same dedicated routine for the Russian you will likely see its own little life evolve in routine....

jakskillz

Georgia
I leave mine alone personally but do evening soaks.....my guy is not an early riser and usually sleeps until 11am, lol

I once had a mini heart attack when I walked into my turtle room and saw one of my box turtles sprawled out with his mouth agape. I turned on all the lights and everyone else was up and moving and I walked over fearing the worst (I just had a serious RI sweep through my turtles) so I lightly tapped his shell and he got so scared he crapped himself.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I once had a mini heart attack when I walked into my turtle room and saw one of my box turtles sprawled out with his mouth agape. I turned on all the lights and everyone else was up and moving and I walked over fearing the worst (I just had a serious RI sweep through my turtles) so I lightly tapped his shell and he got so scared he crapped himself.
I started reading that fearing the worst, and then it took a very different turn [emoji16]

Destben

Kansas
LOL thats too good. I made Torterra pee on accident because she didn't realize i was picking her up. luckily I was about to soak her so she replaced the lost fluid fairly quickly.

Destben

Kansas
He’s kinda a piggy though. My husband did the feeding yesterday and filled his bowl. He put 4 Mazuri pellets in there (he won’t be getting anymore this week) and Blue ate it all and then took down that grass that was as tall as the other one. All in one day [emoji33]