Morla's new home... suggestions?

BrianB

Location (City and/or State)
Clearwater, FL
Sounding more and more like planted grass/weeds is going to be the way to go. Thanks everyone for the input!

Kasia

Poland
I had the prettiest planted vivarium when the babies were little and not as bold. Now whatever I put in there gets torn down in mater of hours. I think Kasia is onto something with the grass. I'm giving up on plants for now, the "kids" are ready to start spending daytime in tort garden outside so the viv is only to serve as a bedroom until they outgrow it at which point we either take on another hatching (or 2:) or re-do the 40 gal tank into something else for some other pets for my boys. These babies got to be such little bulldozers that I couldn't even rotate live plants anymore. They were not growing fast enough! I love the look of planted terrarium, so maybe the next occupant will be some small gentle animal that will appreciate pretty landscape
Appreciation is exactly what torts lack...:confused:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just a point of clarification for when you go to re-order substrate. Coco coir is more like dirt or soil in consistency. What you have there is coco chips. Its fine for your tortoise, but I thought you might like to know for future reference.

Another thing I like to point out is that I don't like to use spot bulbs. They concentrate too much desiccating IR-A in one small area and I think they contribute to pyramiding. I prefer 65 watt floods instead. That will probably also work fine in your small enclosure.

I see you are not using coil bulbs, and that is great, but what are you using for UV? Does he get sunshine regularly outside?

BrianB

Clearwater, FL
Just a point of clarification for when you go to re-order substrate. Coco coir is more like dirt or soil in consistency. What you have there is coco chips. Its fine for your tortoise, but I thought you might like to know for future reference.

Another thing I like to point out is that I don't like to use spot bulbs. They concentrate too much desiccating IR-A in one small area and I think they contribute to pyramiding. I prefer 65 watt floods instead. That will probably also work fine in your small enclosure.

I see you are not using coil bulbs, and that is great, but what are you using for UV? Does he get sunshine regularly outside?
Thanks for the clarification on the coco coir vs coco chips, I will definitely check into the floods vs the spots and yes daily outside trips I live in Clearwater, FL so we have lots of sunshine and high humidity. Is there a recommended bulb brand/type for the UV? I though I read on the box for the spots that I have that they provide UVA/B, I will need to recheck that...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the clarification on the coco coir vs coco chips, I will definitely check into the floods vs the spots and yes daily outside trips I live in Clearwater, FL so we have lots of sunshine and high humidity. Is there a recommended bulb brand/type for the UV? I though I read on the box for the spots that I have that they provide UVA/B, I will need to recheck that...

The box will say UVA, but not UVB. Its a marketing gimmick meant to confuse the consumer and sell more bulbs.

You don't need indoor UV if your tortoise is getting regular sunshine.

BrianB

Clearwater, FL
Yes I really do have a indoor security camera pointed at Morla's enclosure...paranoid much you ask? :)securitycammorla.jpg

BrianB

Clearwater, FL
The box will say UVA, but not UVB. Its a marketing gimmick meant to confuse the consumer and sell more bulbs.

You don't need indoor UV if your tortoise is getting regular sunshine.
Yup indeed, box says UVA, no mention of UVB :( So what is the recommended daily exposure to natural sunlight? Well the minimum exposure anyway?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yup indeed, box says UVA, no mention of UVB :( So what is the recommended daily exposure to natural sunlight? Well the minimum exposure anyway?

In my experience, a half hour twice a week is enough to prevent MBD. No problem to go a month or more with no sun in winter.

Optimal to me, is about 1-2 hours a day for a baby or young one.

BrianB

Clearwater, FL
In my experience, a half hour twice a week is enough to prevent MBD. No problem to go a month or more with no sun in winter.

Optimal to me, is about 1-2 hours a day for a baby or young one.
Excellent, I'm meeting or exceeding your recommendation daily! Plus I want at least some UVB lighting in the enclosure, research, research, research!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Excellent, I'm meeting or exceeding your recommendation daily! Plus I want at least some UVB lighting in the enclosure, research, research, research!

You really don't need indoor UV, but if you want some, the 10.0 tubes are easy and available. Plus they make everything brighter inside.

Just don't let the pet store talk you into any of the cfl type screw in bulbs. Those can damage tortoise eyes.

BrianB

Clearwater, FL
You really don't need indoor UV, but if you want some, the 10.0 tubes are easy and available. Plus they make everything brighter inside.

Just don't let the pet store talk you into any of the cfl type screw in bulbs. Those can damage tortoise eyes.
If there is one thing I have learned from this site it is NO CFL bulbs... I wonder why they even let them sell these things???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If there is one thing I have learned from this site it is NO CFL bulbs... I wonder why they even let them sell these things???

They keep selling them because people keep buying them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's nice. If it were mine, I'd add a 1x12 board all around the bottom so she can't see out. It would also inhibit any attempts at climbing and getting stuck or caught in the mesh.

BrianB

Clearwater, FL
That's nice. If it were mine, I'd add a 1x12 board all around the bottom so she can't see out. It would also inhibit any attempts at climbing and getting stuck or caught in the mesh.
Understood, I thought the bricks would be enough, Morla has already taught me otherwise :)

Lindsey28

Charlotte, NC
How do you have the hose on a timer? I've been wanting to create a humidifier but I don't know where to begin. I was thinking something with a hose but I don't know of timing it except for the sprinkler system.

BrianB

Clearwater, FL
How do you have the hose on a timer? I've been wanting to create a humidifier but I don't know where to begin. I was thinking something with a hose but I don't know of timing it except for the sprinkler system.
Ok, promise not to laugh... I went to Walmart and went to the baby section and bought a humidifier that was shaped like an elephant, then I went to the plumbing section and bought a drain hose for a portable dishwasher...fit perfectly over elephants trunk on humidifier...I then bought an electronic timer that would come on every 4 fours for 5 minutes...tada.... Since then I upgraded to a better timer that comes on every hour for 5 minutes. I can keep humidity in my Exo-Terra Enclosure at least at 80% with this set up.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Ok, promise not to laugh... I went to Walmart and went to the baby section and bought a humidifier that was shaped like an elephant, then I went to the plumbing section and bought a drain hose for a portable dishwasher...fit perfectly over elephants trunk on humidifier...I then bought an electronic timer that would come on every 4 fours for 5 minutes...tada.... Since then I upgraded to a better timer that comes on every hour for 5 minutes. I can keep humidity in my Exo-Terra Enclosure at least at 80% with this set up.
Love this idea! Can we see pictures please?

BrianB

Clearwater, FL
Here are the basic pics, if anyone wants more detail, let me know. :)

Attachments

• mist1.jpg
    mist1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 13
  • mist2.jpg
    mist2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 13
  • mist3.jpg
    mist3.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 12
  • mist4.jpg
    mist4.jpg