More questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I let Tony out in the morning.. Lately the temp in the am has been 70-72*f.. So he goes out grazes for a few minutes then heads into his hide..(which is half an overturned dog crate in a sunny part of the yard) He will then stay in his hide for 2-3 hrs... I check on him in there and monitor temp in the hide.. temp 88*F this morning (yesterday afternoon it was 96*f)..(in the hide)

So here are the questions... Is the morning temp OK or should I wait longer for the temp to go up?? Also why do you guys believe he is going into the hide when it's obviously cooler outside??

Thoughts?? Suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
All those temps sound fine.

They use the hides for security. Some times, feeling like you are safe in a "burrow" takes precedence over being the perfect temp. ... and he might want to be warmer. Mine hang out in their box when its well over 100 degrees in there. They could come out and get in the shade or the cool mud bog, but they stay in the hot house.

Sometimes I find my juveniles in their under ground hides staying cool on hot summer days. Other times I see them up walking around in the sun on a 100 degree day. They know where the burrow is, but sometimes they just wanna be hot.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yup...they have a mind of their own for sure....my youngest guy was out this afternoon when it was blazing hot....so...I noticed he was walking and sampling this and that so I went and picked him about 6 petunia flowers and snuck em to him....
all the other guys were chilling in their burrows and hides....so they missed the sneak...LOL...But they each get their own sneaks :D

I think that as long as he has hides in the warm and also cool areas he will be aok :D

Status
Not open for further replies.