Morally responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Just a new case I’m working on, started with an inconcent bystander and a woman getting attacked.

In the US, bystanders have no legal responsibility to assist those in need unless there is some prior duty to that person. For instance, a parent will have a legal duty to assist his or her child, a police officer has a legal duty to assist anyone, etc. In addition, a person who, by his/her actions, creates a situation where a duty can be assumed in law also has a responsibility to render assistance. For instance, if Abel places Baker in a position of great danger, then Abel is obligated to assist Baker in avoiding that danger. Ordinarily, however, no one has a legal duty to assist anyone else. That may not be the law in other countries, but it has always been the law in the US. I’ve been busy looking into citations of authority by the US Supreme count. Not as easy as it may seem. It may take me some time but I’ll find a US supreme court case one way or another.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Rich it's so cool to hear what the lawyer in you is up to !!! Like reading a good crime mystery :p
A pretty interesting case I might add!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Rich
Really interesting, I am sure you will find something. It is really nice of you to share your case.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Are you asking a question?
I dont have an answer!

Not really, I was just thinking out loud again and putting it in writing. No citation of authority of any Supreme Court Ruling. I guess a man can watch a woman being raped and just turn his head and walk away. I guess when it comes to a moral responsibility to help, it depends on one's internal fortitude as well. Let's face it there are some people who are naturally brave and others that are naturally timid. It seems to me that many people are scared to be hurt these days. What if the fellow had a gun, or got angry and stabbed her and went after the man who tried to help I could see someone actually getting involved physically could be tragic on so many levels. That is not to say that they shouldn't it just seems to me that we can't make that decision for others and they will have to live with the consequences of their choice.

calamarian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wasn't this covered in the final Seinfeld episode? ;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.