Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like the idea, but I worry that monthly would be too often. If you notice submissions going down in number, maybe you could go every other month.

Since LLLReptile and Tyler's place are both forum sponsors (aren't they?) maybe the winner could have their choice of which place they'd like their winnings to be spent.

I see Kayti's point. A while back I was reprimanded (well, not quite that strong) because I always gave out Terry's redfoot site to folks asking about redfoots. Its not good to show favoritism.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
emysemys said:
I like the idea, but I worry that monthly would be too often. If you notice submissions going down in number, maybe you could go every other month.

Since LLLReptile and Tyler's place are both forum sponsors (aren't they?) maybe the winner could have their choice of which place they'd like their winnings to be spent.

I see Kayti's point. A while back I was reprimanded (well, not quite that strong) because I always gave out Terry's redfoot site to folks asking about redfoots. Its not good to show favoritism.

I think every other month would be better too. By the time everyone submits the picture, and then everyone votes, it would be time to start all over again.
Is there another site that you could recommend for Redfoot care Yvonne. I mean someone that's on this forum.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hey! Why can't I link to the photo contest winner thread? I don't remember which photo was DeanS's, and I want to make sure it was the one I voted for!

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
These contests are a great idea. I have seen them work a few ways on forums. First, the most fair way to submit the photos is via email or PM to the mod in charge of the contest. This way voting is not swayed by popular members. People should be encouraged to vote for the best photo and not simply reward popular members or their friends. Second, to keep the contest fresh, we should keep the submissions/voting around 5. I've seen this done two ways. Either with the mod eliminating poor photos and simply selecting the top 5, or have a primary round that gets the voting down to the top 5. From there, members should only be able to vote once. This keeps voters favorite #4 picture from overtaking the 1, 2 and 3.

Voting should also not be viewed in the forum. It may make people with weaker submissions feel badly about only getting a couple of votes. Plus it encourages vote solicitation, which isn't fair.

I think the prize should be photo displayed on TF homepage for month, and appearing in calendar if photo meets MP requirements (and maybe focus).

As mentioned before, winning should occur only once. At a minimum the winner should not win two months in a row.

You may also consider making themed assignments and require the photo to be taking in the past month. This will motivate everyone to get out and be creative. An example may be, tortoise doing something un-tortoise like. Or hatchling emerging from a egg. This would make for an interesting calendar.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm working to make our contests run a bit more smoothly and I'll definitely be considering some of the changes Richard mentioned above.
I think the most reasonable option is to do a contest every other month. That way we don't get too bogged down and people still have time to get out and take photos.
Themes are a great idea - what types of themes would you all like to see?

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
That sounds like a fantastic idea, how exciting it will be to see everyone's tortoises! The winning photos on the homepage will be great, perhaps it could be an ongoing 'tortoise of the month' thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.