Mom to Baby Cherry Head Red Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dionne

5 Year Member
I have only recently become familiar with tortoises. Honestly I never even realized there was a real difference between turtles and tortoises (embracing to admit). I became an admirer of the tortoise by virtue of my 9 year old daughter. We got her a cherry head red foot for Christmas. Prior to purchasing her red foot I did so much research and spoke to numerous reptile owners before make the decision that a tortoise was a good fit for a 9 year old girl. I think what worried me the most was the life span of a tortoise. She (at 9yrs of age) would be making a commitment to keeping this animal for the rest of her life.
I have changed my opinion now. Next week my husband I will be getting our very own yellow foot to raise for ourselves.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum and congrat's :) we love pic's here just so you know:D

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Welcome! They are addicting, aren't they? Cherries have such great personalities! I don't have any yellowfoots, but I hear they have great personalities as well. :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Welcome, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your Cherryhead RF and soon to be a Yellowfoot owner.

One of the best references I purchased is Mike Pingleton's book. He covers redfoots extensively, and has only a brief section on yellowfoots, but it might be something you and your family would be interested in. It's easy to read and very informative.
http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm

I've lost track of how many recommendations I've made for that book, so if I've already told you to pick up a copy, I apologize in advance for sounding like a broken record :cool:

A good free resource, that I'm sure you've already navigated:
https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/

Good luck!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Dionne said:
I have only recently become familiar with tortoises. Honestly I never even realized there was a real difference between turtles and tortoises (embracing to admit). I became an admirer of the tortoise by virtue of my 9 year old daughter. We got her a cherry head red foot for Christmas. Prior to purchasing her red foot I did so much research and spoke to numerous reptile owners before make the decision that a tortoise was a good fit for a 9 year old girl. I think what worried me the most was the life span of a tortoise. She (at 9yrs of age) would be making a commitment to keeping this animal for the rest of her life.
I have changed my opinion now. Next week my husband I will be getting our very own yellow foot to raise for ourselves.

Yes they are pretty kool, I started out with a male and female redfoot and now I have 7 and 2 radiated tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.