Mold!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Cypress mulch doesn't mold fast. :) I think he is mistaken. That is actually one of the best parts of cypress mulch. You can keep it wet and it won't mold or get musty. Make sure you get the 100% cypress and not a mix.

Gravel isn't ideal. It has no way to hold humidity. If it's a small enough gravel he might even try to eat it, which is not that great for him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marta:

I know you're supposed to have respect for your parents, however, does he know more than we do about turtles and tortoises? No disrespect intended. All people can't know everything there is to know about everything. That's why you're here, right? To learn. And we're here to share with you what we've already learned through hard knocks and experience. Orchid bark and cypress mulch are the two best substrates I've ever used. It DOESN'T mold or turn sour. You can wet it and keep it wet and it stays good. Read the list of ingredients on the bag at Home Depot. If it doesn't contain anything besides cypress mulch, its a good thing to buy...and cheap at the price!! A big bag like that will last you for several years.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Marty--I used coir[spelling?] fiber for Morty. It comes in a compressed block and when you put the block in warm water--it swells and makes quite a bit of substrate. I would only put about a 2" deep layer at the bottom of the box and I would add more when I needed to[after general cleaning]. You can add water when you think it is too dry---and I never had a mold problem because I was always "fixing" and " mixing". You can "spot spray" the top layer and it is firm enough for babies to walk on easily. It isn't that expensive and last a long time. And if you do put food in the enclosure--put it on a piece of flat stone--that will keep some of the substrate from mixing with the food.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
emysemys said:
Hi Marta:

I know you're supposed to have respect for your parents, however, does he know more than we do about turtles and tortoises? No disrespect intended. All people can't know everything there is to know about everything. That's why you're here, right? To learn. And we're here to share with you what we've already learned through hard knocks and experience. Orchid bark and cypress mulch are the two best substrates I've ever used. It DOESN'T mold or turn sour. You can wet it and keep it wet and it stays good. Read the list of ingredients on the bag at Home Depot. If it doesn't contain anything besides cypress mulch, its a good thing to buy...and cheap at the price!! A big bag like that will last you for several years.

Well I tell them that these people have been keeping tortoises for many many years and he hasn't. I think he gets all know it all - ish

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Yvonne, I completely forgot about orchid bark.

If he says no to cypress mulch, see if he can pick up orchid bark for you instead. It's very similar as far as being a good substrate goes. Maybe he'll have less strong of an objection to it. ;)

Marty333

10 Year Member!
PeanutbuttER said:
Yvonne, I completely forgot about orchid bark.

If he says no to cypress mulch, see if he can pick up orchid bark for you instead. It's very similar as far as being a good substrate goes. Maybe he'll have less strong of an objection to it. ;)

My dad actually had a stronger objection to that he says it is way to expensive! Can someone please come pick me up and take me to the store because I doubt my dads going to take me. :p

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I was in the same boat as you not too many moons ago, not knowing what is the best sub-straight! I have now hatched and raised many Hermanns on nothing but damp Cypress. I love it for several reasons: 1) It holds moisture 2) It does not mold (however food and poop molds quickly on it). 3) Its cheap 4) I even put big chunk's in for hatchlings as I feel the rough terrain is good for them. 5) Every month or so I bake it to kill any fruit flies that start to develop.

Respect your father, but take the forums advice on this subject, IMO.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
My dad wants something that is reusable he says he can clean gravel off but with mulch you have to throw it out once it starts to mold. He still doesn't believe me about it not molding. Ugh I wish my dad would just listen!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
rocks can kill if he eats them. you can re use the dirt if you bake it.. but does he want it in his oven?
toss it out in the garden, dont throw it away.. lost of uses.. but any food left behind might rot.. poop with just fertilize!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Mold such as what you show in you pictures is very easy to stop, just by stirring or fluffing the bedding. I have had cypress mulch in my enclosures for months, WET, with no mold growing in it. One of my enclosures has the lid on it with just a few holes for heat and light, and the humidity runs above 80% during the day, 99% over night. That enclosure includes cypress mulch, spagnum moss, an old piece of cottonwood bark, moss and plants but no mold. Torty's enclosure has cypress mulch, sphagnum moss, dead leaved, and a new piece of bark. That bark has mold on it similar to what you show every morning, and as soon as I turn the lights on and open up Torty's hide so he'll come out and join the family, the mold disappears. Mold is a healthy part of the natural process of decay, and most molds are not harmful at all. I also tolerate the little bugs that do clean-up duty in his bedding.

Whoa! Here's a thought! Marta lives where cypress trees live, and possibly the organisms for decaying cypress are present in her yard, where they are not present where I live. Any chance it could make that big a difference? Maybe her dad is right about the cypress! But not about the gravel.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
TortyQueen said:
Whoa! Here's a thought! Marta lives where cypress trees live, and possibly the organisms for decaying cypress are present in her yard, where they are not present where I live. Any chance it could make that big a difference? Maybe her dad is right about the cypress! But not about the gravel.

Interesting thought. I hadn't considered that at all.

M

Maggie Cummings

Marty333 said:
Becki said:
Just curious Marty...why do you feed him outside of his enclosure?

Well I usually feed him after I soak him so I just put him on my desk with the many options and after I put some food in the enclosure with him so if he is still hungry he can have some munchies. When he gets bigger I am going to drop the habit but I think it is a good bonding time :)

Also guys what about gravel my dad has something against mulch because he says cypress mulch molds to fast and he is deadset on gravel! Also no dirt. I was thinking larger gravel and some sand to add firmness. I know sands not a good choice but its the only option I have for now

I have cypress mulch as the substrate in 10 inside habitats and Queenie's in Bob's shed and not one of them has ever gotten mold. The only time I have ever gotten mold was underneath the water dish in Fat Nat's tort table and I think that was because I didn't move the dish much, she doesn't drink from it or soak in it so I just kept filling the dish without moving it, so the mold was my fault.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe your dad is talking about a different kind of cypress mulch. The kind we buy for substrate is actually little chunks of wood and bark.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I get where your Dad's coming from, gravel is great for rinsing and re-using, but DEADLY to little torts, and has terrible traction which leads to developemental problems with the legs.

If he's dead set against mulch, a blend of either top soil, sphagnum peet, or coco coir and sand is your next best bet. Many folks actually prefer that over mulches. Thats essentially what I use, except mines "activated" with live dirt and bugs, you don't have to go that far. Peet is probably my top pick as its cheaper than dirt (funny huh?) and highly mold resistant. Topsoil from gardens centers can be tricky, as they are mostly just really broken down mulch, not much actual mineralized dirt present.

50/50 play sand/peet

If that's a no go, well I think I'd rather see a reptile carpet than gravel.

And yes, I think Tortyqueen might be on to something. That makes total sense. Cypress Mulch doesn't mold for most of the country because the correct mold spores to attack it are missing.

Orchid Bark is spendy stuff, but if you can get Douglas Fir Mulch, that's the same thing, and could very well be highly mold resistant in florida. Of course, I don't really notice that stuff molding here, and its native to my area, so theory may be no-good either LOL

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
TortyQueen said:
Mold such as what you show in you pictures is very easy to stop, just by stirring or fluffing the bedding. I have had cypress mulch in my enclosures for months, WET, with no mold growing in it. One of my enclosures has the lid on it with just a few holes for heat and light, and the humidity runs above 80% during the day, 99% over night. That enclosure includes cypress mulch, spagnum moss, an old piece of cottonwood bark, moss and plants but no mold. Torty's enclosure has cypress mulch, sphagnum moss, dead leaved, and a new piece of bark. That bark has mold on it similar to what you show every morning, and as soon as I turn the lights on and open up Torty's hide so he'll come out and join the family, the mold disappears. Mold is a healthy part of the natural process of decay, and most molds are not harmful at all. I also tolerate the little bugs that do clean-up duty in his bedding.

There are cypress everywhere in SE Arkansas,many close to my house.I've never had any problems with my mulch molding,inside or out.And it stays wet and never gets stirred unless a female is digging in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.