mold in habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
My three toed box turtle has one of those half log hides in his enclosure. Of course, his enclosure is kept humid with damp substrate. The bottom of the half log that touches the substrate is apparently growing mold, as it is turning green. Is this a danger to my boxie?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
lisa127 said:
My three toed box turtle has one of those half log hides in his enclosure. Of course, his enclosure is kept humid with damp substrate. The bottom of the half log that touches the substrate is apparently growing mold, as it is turning green. Is this a danger to my boxie?
i battle this same issue on my half log kept in those same conditions. i periodically take it out and scrub it. its a pain... i would also love to know if its harmful.

ascott said:
Is it mold? Or is it that pretty fluffy moss type stuff?

i always assumed it was mold. but sometimes it does look "fluffy". is there a difference?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Take the wood out and let it dry completely in the sun. Additionally, you can bleach it, rinse it, and let it dry completely in the sun, and the mold will either not come back at all, or only come back slightly.

You don't even need to scrub it, just let the wood products dry out completely. After a year or two of use, they'll stop molding. :)

Source: watching all the new wood products in my store mold, dry out, mold, dry out, and then stop molding completely. Haven't seen mold on any wood items in a long time, and my location has been open a little over two years. We did bleach or use simple green on any items that were being cleaned between cage uses, but for anything that was molding but going back into the same cage, we'd just let it dry out and then replace it.

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.