Mold in Coco Coir?

Happytort27

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I haven't mixed the coco coir around in about four months, so the top part got dry in my tortoise's enclosure. The bottom part was still a little damp, but I could tell that it was starting to dry out. Since I wanted to make the coir damper, I decided to pour some water into the coco coir and mix it around. When I was mixing it around in the enclosure, I saw some white specks near the bottom. I know that coco coir doesn't mold easily, so I was at first confused. It wasn't really fuzzy, it just looked like little white specks. I did some research and found out that it could either be mold or mineral deposits sitting in the coir. I know that there couldn't possibly be any food way down at the bottom, so I wasn't sure if it was actually mold. I just replaced the coco coir and wiped down the edges of the enclosure. Now I'm wondering what those specks actually were. If this is helpful, I keep the humidity in the enclosure at 80-85% during the day, and sometimes it reaches the 90s at night. Can I have your opinion on this? Thanks!

nicoleann2214

NY
I haven't mixed the coco coir around in about four months, so the top part got dry in my tortoise's enclosure. The bottom part was still a little damp, but I could tell that it was starting to dry out. Since I wanted to make the coir damper, I decided to pour some water into the coco coir and mix it around. When I was mixing it around in the enclosure, I saw some white specks near the bottom. I know that coco coir doesn't mold easily, so I was at first confused. It wasn't really fuzzy, it just looked like little white specks. I did some research and found out that it could either be mold or mineral deposits sitting in the coir. I know that there couldn't possibly be any food way down at the bottom, so I wasn't sure if it was actually mold. I just replaced the coco coir and wiped down the edges of the enclosure. Now I'm wondering what those specks actually were. If this is helpful, I keep the humidity in the enclosure at 80-85% during the day, and sometimes it reaches the 90s at night. Can I have your opinion on this? Thanks!
Are you feeding mazuri? I know when I feed mine mazuri she tramples it all over and the next day there’s white fuzzy maybe when you mix the stuff around you don’t even notice. I’ve never had mine mold though just randomly.

Happytort27

CA
Yes, I am currently feeding Mazuri, but I've never seen any fuzzy white mold on the surface of the coir. ?