Moisture for a 12-year-old Hermann's

Rhiannon

Hello! I adopted a female, 12-year-old Hermann's a few months ago, and I have gotten so much conflicting advice about how often to bathe her and how humid to keep the air around her. Any suggestions?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome to the forum, Rhiannon! I have 2 Hermann's tortoises. The male is probably around 11-12. We're not sure. I keep the humidity at around 60-75. My guys like to self soak--in other words, make poop soup--and I mist or pour water on them, whenever I see them is their water dish. They're doing really well. I've had them almost 1.5 yrs. I was told by the owner that they were full grown, but they're both a bit bigger. The male grew almost a full centimetre and the female, over 1cm. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414926419.200713.jpg
This is my F, Darwin. We guesstimated her age to be at least 6-7 yrs.

Rhiannon

Your tortoise is beautiful! I'd like to give my Henrietta a plate like that to soak in when she wants, as soon as I figure out what her new bedding is going to be. I have been using those alfalfa pellets that pet stores have recommended, but I never liked them. They're too dry, and they're gross when they get wet. What do you use? I like the idea of organic topsoil that I saw mentioned here, and I think she would really like sand, but I think I'm too paranoid to try it. I haven't been able to find a good vet for her in my area, so I'm obsessive about preventing health problems.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Your tortoise is beautiful! I'd like to give my Henrietta a plate like that to soak in when she wants, as soon as I figure out what her new bedding is going to be. I have been using those alfalfa pellets that pet stores have recommended, but I never liked them. They're too dry, and they're gross when they get wet. What do you use? I like the idea of organic topsoil that I saw mentioned here, and I think she would really like sand, but I think I'm too paranoid to try it. I haven't been able to find a good vet for her in my area, so I'm obsessive about preventing health problems.

Sand is not recommended as if they ingest it, it can cause impaction. 100% top soil, peat moss, coco coir, eco earth, cypress mulch all work well. I have loved cypress mulch, I added a little bit of peat moss and eco earth and the humidity holds well in my open topped table at 50-60%.

I have started soaking every day for 20-30 minutes without letting the water get cold to ensure good hydration. Some say for adults every other day.

Rhiannon

When you've used top soil, have you literally gotten top soil from a garden store, or is there a special soil just for animals that the people on this forum buy? Also, I'm wondering about cleaning and replacing it. Do people usually just spot clean, or is it typical to do a full change now and then? Also, I'm interested in what you're saying about keeping your table at 50-60% humidity. That is where I try to keep mine, but I have seen others on here and elsewhere say it should be between 75 and 80%. Are there different theories on this?

Tyanna

Wisconsin

Rhiannon

Thanks! Is peat moss something sold at garden/hardware stores? The suggestion of 70% humidity on that care sheet seems to refer to baby tortoises, but I'm wondering if Hermann's experts typically keep adults in less humid conditions.

Tyanna

Wisconsin