Mixing of substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Do take a look at the substrate in the pic below. Am i doing it right??
I've mix orginic soil with coco coir and spread a layer of sphagnum moss on top.
Do you guys actually mix everything together or?

Thanks and have a great weekend..
Cheers!
photo-10.jpg

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
We just use straight coco coir in our enclosure. With what you have I would use the organic soil and coco coir mix as the main substrate and put the sphagnum moss in the humid hide. Although what you have maybe fine, I personally have never used the sphagnum moss. I have seen other members use it in their humid hides.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I personally don't like coconut coir (or sphagnum moss) but many others use it without issue. Layering makes sense, but it is more labor-intensive since the tortoises and your cleaning actions will tend to stir it up.

Since you are already using a soil mix, may I suggest the Bioactive Substrate System (http://tortoiselibrary.com/substrates.html ). It is a little more work to start- you'll need to add some sand or kitty litter to let the microorganisms grow on- but that is OK because it also loosens the soil- and at least think about adding worms and isopods (rolly polly bugs, pill buts, etc.) both to help improve the soil and the isopods will prey on the pests that show up in a soil-based system.

You'll also need a scoop of healthy garden soil, preferably not frozen hard. This will help more quickly innoculate the soil with the beneficial micro-organisms. It will take a week to a month for them to reproduce and start to work.

When the system is working, the soil becomes 'silky' and does not stick as readily to hands or tortoises, the smells start to go away, the pests almost vanish, and small wastes are 'eaten' by the worms and micro-organisms. It still helps to remove most old food and feces, but any you miss are no longer a concern.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Wow!
Very interesting. Will study on this. :D

Just tried coir and moss only today. Used only soil in the past.
Problems I'm facing is:
Sticking all over tort after they dip into their mini-pool.
Mini-pool became mud within that day itself.
Stick on food.

Other then the above, everything seems fine.

Thanks for respond.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
TortBrain said:
Sticking all over tort after they dip into their mini-pool.
Mini-pool became mud within that day itself.
Stick on food.

That's what happens when you use a substrate which sticks to wet things. Switch to Mark's bio-active substrate and you'll be trouble-free.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
For baby tortoises and young ones up to about 4" I use a substrate mixture of about 60% organic soil (potting or top soil), 30% coconut coir and the rest ground sphagnum and leaf litter. I mix it well and for babies keep it about 2" deep. I spray it twice daily and about once a week or as needed, saturate and churn it. This substrate holds moisture well without having to be damp. It is also solid enough to allow for good footing and burrowing. As long as it is spot cleaned (as any substrate should) it can be used indefinitely.

With any organic substrate you're always going to have some degree of "mud" if a drinking water container is in the enclosure. All you can do is clean it as often as possible. Or depending upon species requirements remove it and water (soak) the tortoise(s) seperately.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Noted guys and much appreciated on your input.

So far the mix soil+coir seems ok after I tap tap tap on the substrate.
Only for the moss, the larger tort will drag it around when they move about. Small tort seems to love it and will sleep on. Mist it afew times aday.
Will monitor and try to improve. Might be adding more coir tomorrow.

Btw, I've added a tile below the feeding bowl for the larger tort and no problem for the soil sticking on their food till this moment. :D

GBtortoises, care to share how your mixture of substrate looks like?

Cheers!

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Sorry guys but how wet do you mist the moss? Dripping wet or damp? They are kicking it around like a soccer ball. Lol!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
TortBrain said:
Sorry guys but how wet do you mist the moss? Dripping wet or damp? They are kicking it around like a soccer ball. Lol!

Damp is fine. Dripping wet will cause problems such as shell rot.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I actually use 80 - 90% coconut bark and 10 - 20% coco coir...a VERY clean mixture...and surprisingly easy to clean. And with this mixture you can add warm water every four or five days...or even weekly (if you have a good humid hide).

Status
Not open for further replies.