Mixed messages

Bar ara

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I'm a first time owner of a Russian. Reading, reading, reading to learn how to take care of this little guy. One issue that people seem to have different opinions on is humidity and whether or not to "mist" them.
Help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
I cannot offer any help because I know so little about Russians.
But you are in good hands here on the forum.
I'd recommend doing a search for Russian tortoise care on this forum at the moment.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm a first time owner of a Russian. Reading, reading, reading to learn how to take care of this little guy. One issue that people seem to have different opinions on is humidity and whether or not to "mist" them.
Help!
I don't know much about Russians but best advice I can give you is listen to what you learn here and stay away from the facebook groups.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
You'll find varying opinions on that subject here on the forum too. I have 2 Russians and after reading a lot I am of the opinion that Russians don't need much humidity once they are adults (babies and juveniles are a different story) as long as you soak them a couple times a week and just make sure they are hydrated. I live in a rather humid climate in the Pacific Northwest which helps too. Am I right in thinking you live in a pretty humid place also?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Help!
What size is your tortoise? The advice might be a little different for a baby vs. and adult, but neither needs to be misted.

There is a lot of confusing, contradictory and wrong info out in the world for tortoise care. As a new keeper, you are going to have to decide who to listen to. Here are my guidelines for Russian care. I believe this info to be the best way to do it based on more than 20 years of doing it the "wrong" way, and 10 years of doing it the "right" way.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/