mix topsoil and ordinary dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbs

5 Year Member
for my substrate, can i mix some ordinary soil (basically dirt) from my back yard, and mix it with my topsoil for my sulcata?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I have never heard of that combination. The main thing I can tell you is to either use cypress mulch or a choir/soil mix. The reason behind this is that ordinary dirt doesnt hold in moisture all that well whereas cypress mulch and choir/soil mix does not. I hope this helps.
Good Luck
John

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I like finely sifted coir, a coir/soil mix or orchid bark for babies. The cypress mulch is most often too coarse it seems to me, to be comfortable for a baby that wants to dig.

You can use ordinary dirt out of your back yard, as long as there have been no chemicals used on it, no pesticides, and no dogs.

Otherwise, I would probably go with either top soil/coir mix, top soil/orchid bark mix, or just coir.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I totally agree with the need to have some form of substrate that holds in moisture for humidity like cypress mulch or Ecoearth. Also though, my vet who is very popular and works with the Desert Museum of Arizona and other reptile places suggests having access to regular dirt because there are good organisms found in that dirt that they need (although I guess perhaps there could be bad too??).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My outdoor enclosures are all just regular dirt. Seems like it might get messy indoors. If you let it get dry it seems like it would be dusty. If you get it wet, seems like it would be too muddy. I guess it depends on the consistency of your dirt. If you try it, let us all know how it goes. You might start a new trend!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I think it depends greatly upon what type of soil you have in your area. Some soils, such as here where I live do not drain well and when mixed with water or high moisture turns to a muddy, sticky mess. If you have soil that drains easier and is sandy or loamy in composition it would probably work well. Any soil, even that coming from a bag may or may not have small mites and other insects in it.
Outdoors my tortoises are on the ground that is here. For the most part the majority of it is grown over with grass and weeds so very little of the actual soil is exposed anyway. Indoors I use a mixture of about 70% organic potting soil and the rest a combination of coconut coir, ground sphagnum moss and ground leaf litter. It has excellent moisture retention but does not stick much to the tortoises.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I had to remove the mulch because Tank swallowed big pieces and almost chocked. I was also worried about him getting plugged up if you know what I mean. I use a mixture of loam, play sand, choir.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I don't use sand or mulch. Just soil and coir with peat and spag moss mixed in for indoor use. My torts love burrowing in it.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
i like topsoil and play sand.i mist the enclosure everyday and soak them once or twice a week.this time of year they are outdoors alot.comercial substrates smell and are costly.the dirt absorbs the waste better and does not smell like mulches do.

Status
Not open for further replies.