Mites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
So Ive seen small almost microscopic mites in my tortoise enclosure and on my tortoise. They are so small it strains my eyes to even catch a glimpse of them. I got a look at them through my microscope. They are six legged and range from gray to white. They jump around like lice. I know they arent just because of their size. Does anyone else know what these are or know how to get rid of them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have them real bad on my property too. I have no idea what they are, but I've been suffering with them for about 15 years here. If you happen to get one on you they really sting/itch. So it begs to wonder if they also sting the turtles and tortoise in their softer parts. If anyone has any suggestions for getting rid of them, I'm all ears!!

757032xetac8usf7.gif

Yvonne

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Mine dont sting me. I have trouble even seeing them. I only see them when they drown in his water dish or when they are on him under the light they jump around a lot. He doesnt seem to even notice them. But I know they are living off of him and I'm worried.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I have them real bad on my property too. I have no idea what they are, but I've been suffering with them for about 15 years here. If you happen to get one on you they really sting/itch. So it begs to wonder if they also sting the turtles and tortoise in their softer parts. If anyone has any suggestions for getting rid of them, I'm all ears!!

757032xetac8usf7.gif

Yvonne

Sorry to go off topic for a sec, but Yvonne - where do you find the adorable characters?? Okay back to topic, I wonder if the finely ground diatomaceous earth would kill them?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
That happens to be InuYasha Sandy :D He is a half demon anime character. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InuYasha
Yes one of my other vices is Japanese anime :cool:

Danny

Thanks for educating me Danny, you are a "Jewel":) Still want to know where Yvonne gets InuYasha though and all the others she adorns us with in her posts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a trade secret. If I told you, then I'd have to...well, you know.

Yvonne

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I got MiteOff for now. Isaac is in a separate container for now and the tub is getting a thorough spraying. The alternative sounds costly. I cant do that right now. So this will have to do for the time being.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My mite problem is outside. My whole property seems to be inhabited by them.

Yvonne

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Outside is open to everything. So you really cant do much. I would look into flea collars and flea and tick ointment. They both repel all types of parasites and they are non toxic. A loose flea cllar for a small dog would probably fit well around a big tort and it would keep mites out of their neck folds real well. Ointment would go on their heads or shells. It would also keep their hides free of mites too because of the smell.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
ryanseiler said:
I would look into flea collars and flea and tick ointment. They both repel all types of parasites and they are non toxic. A loose flea cllar for a small dog would probably fit well around a big tort and it would keep mites out of their neck folds real well. Ointment would go on their heads or shells. It would also keep their hides free of mites too because of the smell.

What type of flea and tick collars and ointments are you using that are non toxic?

Please do not put flea collars or flea and tick ointments on your tortoises &/or turtles.
Here is what I found out:
Flea collars and flea and tick ointment or miteacides are insecticidal products. Sensitivities, adverse drug interaction and side effects can occur. Many collars are not suitable for debilitated, aged, nursing, pregnant or medicated pets. In addition, some collars are suitable for dogs, but have ingredients that should never be used on cats. And, most collars are not suitable for pets three months and under.

Here is some of the insecticides used in different collars
Amitraz, Amitraz & Pyripoxyfen, Deltamethrin, Propoxur
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC32824

Ointments like advantage is the pesticide imidacloprid
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/imidacloprid.pdf
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC35730#Symptoms

Frontline has the pesticide fipronil in it
http://www.flaes.org/pdf/Fipronil_FAQ 03-03-03.pdf
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC35768

I found this company that states it has a nontoxic natural way to get rid of mites, fireants etc. with enzymes Its called Natural Ginesis. I have not used it so I really only know what I have read. http://naturalginesis.reachlocal.co...2Btreatment%26aq%3D9%26oq%3Dmites%26aqi%3Dg10

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Robyn - I think that's worthy of an individual thread in caps!! It is so important to know the differences in treating tortoises and other animals.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Well nevermind. Wow you would think a dogs skin would be more sensitive than a turtles scales. Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ryanseiler, I Just reread my post and I am so glad you did not take it as a personal affront, cause it was not meant that way. I just want anyone - everyone especially newbie’s to know that Tortoises and Turtles are extremely sensitive to chemicals. We try to use organic foods and caution about using any plants that have pesticides or chemical fertilizers in or on them that we buy a plant but wait 3 to 6 months to make sure all the chemicals are leached out of them. We don't even pick weeds that are on a heavily traveled roadside because of the pollutants they may pick up and actually synthesize. I know Tortoises especially the larger ones with the big scaly arms look tough but in fact they can be quite fragile when it comes to things like this. And Yep in reality a dogs system is less fragile.

Because I used Advantage on my dogs and one of them would slink away whenever she seen the box appear. I watched her closely I noticed when I put it on her not only did she seem uncomfortable she would try to immediately rub it off. She would also get what I called itchy feet and she would try to scratch them by placing her whole foot in her mouth and mouthing it. When I talked to the vet about it he said she must have a side (adverse) effect to the medication and stopped administering it to her immediately. Yet my other dog has no problems at all with it.

Here is a bit of info I found out when I did research on this. When you apply FRONTLINE, fipronil, the active ingredient, is stored in the oil glands under your dog or cats skin. It is then distributed continuously to the skin and hair of your pet through the hair follicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.