Misting/Soaking Subtrate

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange, CA
I have read through the archives a bit but haven't seen my exact question asked or answered.

In an attempt to keep the humidity up for my baby CDT, I occasionally pour water in the substrate (orchid bark & coco cuir). It seems to be working fine, but I'd like to automate the system a bit.

Has anyone ever tried using a soaker hose system to periodically add water to the substrate? This could have the added benefit of also watering food plants in the enclosure.

I was thinking of trying to modify something like a Mist King system to use a small diameter soaker hose.

Thought and concerns are always welcome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know noting about automating the system, but its great that you are keeping some moderate humidity in the enclosure! :)

My issue with automation for something like that is that the wild weather fluctuations we get in Spring and Fall. I think it would be great in summer when it doesn't matter if it accidentally gets turned into a mud bog because its so hot every day.

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
That does seem to be the tricky part. Perhaps I will investigate some sort of system to use as a supplementary enclosure watering system and keep using the method I currently use. Thanks!

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
On an outdoor enclosure, a drip irrigation system would work fine. You can install a timer and a freeze sensor on them just like with lawn sprinkler systems.

In really dry climates, you can use a misting system on a timer like you see in outdoor public places. In Nevada and Arizona, every place with a patio seems to have them. The only drawback is having to constantly replace spray nozzles that get clogged with mineral deposits.

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
Is adding a timer an option?

Absolutely. My plan would be to measure the output of how much the system pumps say in 30 seconds. Then have it on a timer so every 48 hours or so it releases "X" amount of water into the enclosure. Enough keep the plants watered and help with humidity.