Misting Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Lately when I've been misting Nelson's enclosure I've also misted his carapace.
I think I read in the Sulcata section that someone said not to do this for Sulcatas because it can lead to respiratory infections (?)
Is it the same for Russians? Should I stop misting him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never done this on a russian. I just haven't had any russians, since I learned about humidity, hydration and all that stuff. If I did have one, I would definitely do it.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that it does not cause respiratory infections in sulcatas. I've been misting Daisy heavily several times a day for several months now. This is in addition to daily soaks and cage mistings. If you live in a very humid area, you might need to do it less, but Daisy dries up in a matter of minutes because its quite dry here.

Now then: Nelson's shell looks fantastic. Why do you want to change your routine? You should be doing a pictorial tutorial "How to raise a perfect Russian". We'd all like to know what you are doing, because its working. Also, where do you live and what sort of humidity do you have there?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree with Tom. I mist all my tortoises daily, I don't think it hurts them one lick.

I too would like to know what in the world it is you are doing, because Nelson is gorgeous. If I can raise CB Russians that look like that, I will be the world's happiest camper.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
To be honest I don't know why he's growing so smoothly :p The surface of his substrate dries out quickly and he doesn't burrow.
A few months ago he started looking a little bumpy (read: I am paranoid) so I have been more diligent about keeping his substrate moist, and that's when I started misting him too.

I live in a suburb of Chicago. There is high humidity towards the end of summer, but right now there is 26% humidity.

Do you think that if a hatchling is started off in a humid environment they are less likely to pyramid? Maybe those first few weeks are especially critical? Nelson came from Florida, in the summer.
There is someone on this forum who has kept her Russians' enclosure humid since she has had them, and they still pyramided quite a bit. Her care is nearly identical to mine (except I don't feed Mazuri) but maybe her Russians were kept in a dry environment those first few weeks of life.
I know pyramiding can be difficult to stop once it is started. Since Nelson was off to a good start when I got him at 10 weeks old, maybe that made a difference as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Katie, I 100% believe the first few days or weeks are the most critical by far. Daisy was heavily pyramided when I got her at 12 weeks old. I incorrectly speculated that I'd just pop her into some humidity and all the new grow would just be perfect. Not so. I thought since she was so young, it would be easy to reign it in. I was dead wrong. I'll be starting a new thread on this in the next few days. I'm sure you'll find it informative, if not enjoyable. Congrats on doing a fine job for Nelson's first year. I wish you many more.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh another Nelson thread I love it. I've got to admit thought that I was kind of disappointed when there were no pictures of him. :(

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Candy said:
Oh another Nelson thread I love it. I've got to admit thought that I was kind of disappointed when there were no pictures of him. :(

Well then here ya go ;)
IMG_1600.jpg

I love when he sleeps with his back legs stretched out :D

nancydrew88

5 Year Member
ChiKat said:
To be honest I don't know why he's growing so smoothly :p The surface of his substrate dries out quickly and he doesn't burrow.
A few months ago he started looking a little bumpy (read: I am paranoid) so I have been more diligent about keeping his substrate moist, and that's when I started misting him too.

I live in a suburb of Chicago. There is high humidity towards the end of summer, but right now there is 26% humidity.

Do you think that if a hatchling is started off in a humid environment they are less likely to pyramid? Maybe those first few weeks are especially critical? Nelson came from Florida, in the summer.
There is someone on this forum who has kept her Russians' enclosure humid since she has had them, and they still pyramided quite a bit. Her care is nearly identical to mine (except I don't feed Mazuri) but maybe her Russians were kept in a dry environment those first few weeks of life.
I know pyramiding can be difficult to stop once it is started. Since Nelson was off to a good start when I got him at 10 weeks old, maybe that made a difference as well.

Katie,
Nelson is beautiful!

I live in a suburb of Chicago also. We are in Lisle.

Do you keep Nelson outside or inside? I can't believe how nice Nelson's shell is. I constantly worry about misty's shell because she was already bumpy when I got her and I'm not sure if what I am doing will help her shell.

I bathe Misty once every other day and mist her enclosure as needed, however I have noticed that Misty runs away from the mist when I mist her. Like she doesn't like to get misted. Do all of your tortoises like it when you mist them?

Randee

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hi Randee! I'm in the Palatine/Barrington area. I have friends in Naperville! (that's by Lisle, right?)
I have been keeping him inside- I got him in August last year and now it's just finally warming up (although what is UP with the weather lately?)
I am planning on building him an outdoor enclosure because I know how important natural sunlight is. So hopefully he'll be outside for most of the day this summer!

Nelson really doesn't seem to mind the mist. I wouldn't say he LOVES it, like I've heard some tort owners say, but he will just sit there.

And Steph- chubby? I have no idea what you're talking about.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.