Missing Russian!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbank

5 Year Member
We adopted 2 young Russian tortoises earlier this year (in SoCal) and they have been doing fantastically. I've noticed with the weather & light hours changing, they have been sleeping longer and the smaller one, Taco, (5" long) had been burrowing slightly.

This morning when my son and I went out to give them their greens, we couldn't find the smaller one anywhere! They are enclosed in a 15' x 4' pen, with wire barrier firmly attached to the bottom. The enclosure has three large heavy wooden-framed lids, also covered with wire mesh. There was no evidence of animals having gotten in (even though we have no raccoons, only small rats and an occasional rabbit). We had fed the tortoises zucchini flowers late the day before and they were both out basking in the sun and eagerly munched on the flowers. All of the wire mesh was pretty much intact--a few loose spots but no way the tort could have climbed through.

I assumed that he might have burrowed down deep, as we had our coldest night last night -- about 40 degrees. But I have pretty much uncovered ALL the dirt in the cage (except for the compact soil underneath the grass) and can't locate him. I'm kind of at a loss as to what may have happened?

Any stories of unexpected escapes? I can't think of why anyone would take him. Am I missing something???

Thanks

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
This happens to me every year. Before I can box them up, my little Katya digs down and disappears. She's already missing this year despite being very careful has to how much time she has outside each day. I've dug up the whole pen - but I can't find her. They are very good at digging down and hiding it. She always shows up in the spring none worse for the wear though. It was cold last night. I can almost bet you he is in the pen and dug down deep. Look for "sideways" tunnels with your feet - that's what I do. Mine tend to go down and sideways. Good luck finding him!

Status
Not open for further replies.