mint

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I have a huge bunch of mint growing in my garden. I don't know what kind of mint it is, but it has square shaped stalks.(maybe all mints do). Can torts eat mint plant? I've loaded a photo to see if anyone can tell me what specific mint plant it is.

Thanks Craig

IMG_20150516_113108.jpg

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I believe that is Catnip a member of the mint family. It is not edible, but a little nibble probably would not be harmful.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
All mints have square stems. You can id them by how the heaves smell when you crush or stroke them.

Not food. They generally ignore mints. I think pennyroyal is the only one that's a problem.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I agree, it looks to be catnip (catmint), I have it growing wild under my deck. The tort table has it listed as a "Do Not Feed" plant but doesn't really specify other than the effect it has on some mammals and birds.
I won't actively feed it to mine, but if he gets a nip i'm not going to freak out.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
OMG. I just googled smoking catnip. Its basically a mild legal version of marijuana.

Now you know why the cats go nuts for it! I started growing it in my yard many years ago for our cats, and it wasn't until fairly recently I read it had a similar (although apparently very very mild) effect on humans. I have considered trying it but I am afraid my cats would kill me in my sleep for taking their stash!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
There used to be drug wars in my backyard over catnip as the original cat protected her turf. Later cats have been more mellow and share with the neighboring felines.

My midwife gave me a catnip infusion for afterbirth cramps.