Mikey ate a stone.. Behaviour changed... Anyone else had this?

mikey~t

Hi everyone..
A couple of months ago, whilst playing out, Mikey, our russian horsefield, decided his wide selection of weeds and salad wasnt enough, and took it upon himself to eat stone. We do sprinkle his food with calcium powder and nutrobal.
After the initial worry and panic, I discovered that tortoises do sometimes do this (to supplement their diets of calcium). The stone was white, and likely to be lime.. We monitered him for a week, and he continued to eat and poo, though not like he used to. (Im guessing hes thinking that his little tummy feels full, so no need to eat as much)

Before eating the stone, he used to be waiting for us at 7AM when we got up, sit around in his box and bask under his lamp for hours each day.. Since eating it, (its been two months now) we have to encourage him to get up when its nearly noon, and usually have to encourage him with food too.. He doesnt eat everyday currently, despite the food being available to him.

If its a nice day, we take him outside, and once hes got used to the idea, will roam around and climb for 3-5 hours. If its not as nice outside, we let him out in the dining room where he'll wander around but quickly try and find somewhere to hide and sleep. If we then put him back in his box, its straight to bed, no matter what. (Temps are 30degs in the hot area)

He did goto the vet a month ago (a month after eating the stone), she said he appeared ok, xray'd him, where she said it didnt look the biggest stone, and the fact he did eat and poo something was good news. She also checked his poo for worms, and passed it clear. But our lil boy isnt the same.. We're wondering if it will be a certain amount of time for the acids in his stomach to break it down before hes himself again? Has anyone else had a similar episode..? We obviously dont want to hibernate him later in the year, when he doesnt appear to be himself. (We could go back and get a blood test done, or another xray to see if the stone is getting smaller) but wanted to ask any other advice first..

Thanks. Rob

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My Charlotte ate a stone once as well, and she didn't seem to be feeling too well while it was in her stomach. I would soak her once or twice every day and you could tell she was trying to pass something but she just couldn't. She eventually passed it after like 2 weeks of struggling, and I was like holy crap there's a stone in her poop! Mystery solved.

The point to my story is, I would soak your tortoise daily to help pass the rock as soon as possible.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I think you should supplement with miner-all, since a lot of people's tortoises stop eating rocks after supplementing it. I would do daily soaks and try to get him eating normally. Brumating him isn't good now, because he isn't eating as well. I think you should not brumate him until some time after he feels better, so I don't think he'll get to brumate this year.

mikey~t

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410259939.698338.jpg

He does get to bathe about every other day on average.. Sometimes we put him in food baths to help jump start his appetite..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Soak him daily in little bit deeper water then in the picture and in a large tub so he gets to move around a lot, this will help get things moving. At this time, it seems a lot of Russians are slowing down. This could be the reason for yours doing the same, or it could be the stone. Keep an eye on him and make sure he is pooping and do not brumate (hibernate) this year.

mikey~t

Thanks for your help everyone..

Welligton.. Do you know why this might be (Horsefields slowing dow at this time of year)?