Mexican box turtle breeding

mr.yobox

Location (City and/or State)
Korea
I'm raising mexican box turtle and eastern, three toed, ornata ×gulfcoast hybrid. I wonder Is it possible to cross-breed Mexican and Gulf Coast box turtle
.1688314069520.jpg1689283548370.jpg20230428_175656.jpg1681022500251.jpg

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
It's better to keep species seperate and pure. Most hybrids tend to be steril and often times have a few health problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! Does this mean that the different species of box turtles are common in the pet trade in Korea?

I agree with Double D, I like to keep all my different types of box turtle in separate yards to keep the strain pure. I don't know whether or not the Mexican box turtle is genetically close enough to the other types to be able to produce viable eggs, sorry.

mr.yobox

Korea
Hi, and welcome! Does this mean that the different species of box turtles are common in the pet trade in Korea?

I agree with Double D, I like to keep all my different types of box turtle in separate yards to keep the strain pure. I don't know whether or not the Mexican box turtle is genetically close enough to the other types to be able to produce viable eggs, sorry.
Thank you for you advice .
In Korea, many species of box turtles are traded but mexican box turtle is not often, it's sometimes traded. Krcb,eucb,jpcb

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Mexican box turtles are also being poached from their native range. Earlier this year, or last year, my zoo, The Memphis zoo, got some from a confiscation.
They were being smuggled to china. They now reside with Chris Leon and this year he managed to produce some pure offspring.