mercury vapour bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lake district, England
Really dumb question, but im a little confused.
We got a MVB for horace my 5/6 yr old hermanns and set it all up like the instructions said, 80cm/ 30 inches away from the floor. it just isnt getting the temps warm enough.
should i lower the light? will this change the UVB levels? and will it be ok for his health to be closer to the light?
thanks
ash :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
30 inches?

Yeah, you can definitely move it a tad closer to get the temps right. I've had mine half that distance with no issues. Mind you, it was for a sulcata, not a Hermann's.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
ashned7 said:
Really dumb question, but im a little confused.
We got a MVB for horace my 5/6 yr old hermanns and set it all up like the instructions said, 80cm/ 30 inches away from the floor. it just isnt getting the temps warm enough.
should i lower the light? will this change the UVB levels? and will it be ok for his health to be closer to the light?
thanks
ash :)

Do you know the UVB output of the bulb... Who makes the bulb..what wattage,..With the exception of Megaray.. Don't know of any bulb that recommends 30".. Not going to get any heat from that distance....,

I wouldn't lower it unless you know the UVB output..as well as the UVC output..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The lights that I have bought in the past say no closer than 12" from the tortoise's floor.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
ashned7 said:
told you it was a dumb question i was totally confused and read the info wrong :( really embarrising actually :( sorry

Please don't feel that way about asking questions here. It's how we ALL learn :D

Status
Not open for further replies.