Melamine vs plywood

Jsvargas13

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello everyone,

Im trying to buy a custome closed chamber for my sulcata but I was asked if I prefer melamine or plywood? I’m not sure which one would be better since the substrate would be moist? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I would think melamine would be preferred as it it a plastic like material that covers the particleboard inside. You should still seal the seams though

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Whats the price difference? And how large on an enclosure are you having made? Sullys grow rather quickly, so be careful not to spend too much on an enclosure that won’t last long.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Umm, I personally would not use melamine for ANYTHING related to a tortoise enclosure. Particleboard disintegrates when it gets wet, and moisture will get underneath the plastic at the edges. Plywood (painted and sealed) will last much longer.

I spent much $$ and many hours ripping particleboard out of my house because it had rotted, and the plywood it was in contact with was in perfect condition. How this material is still legal to use in construction boggles the mind.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Ive used melamine for many of my enclosures and they wrk great and last forever. Just be sure to silicone all the seams very well. Downside is they are heavy as all hell

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
Here in Missouri Melamine cost a lot more than plywood,and is very heavy, so bought the plywood and coated the inside with the waterproof coating "FlexSeal". When all together calked the corners. It works great.