Meet Taz

PatC

Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
Taz is a red foot hatchling and just arrived a few minutes ago and I immediately put him in to soak. He drank right away and seems very alert. He is doing something with his throat so that it is a steady pulsating. Is this normal? This is my first tort. IMG_3088.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Pat, and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, the throat movement is perfectly normal.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Taz is a red foot hatchling and just arrived a few minutes ago and I immediately put him in to soak. He drank right away and seems very alert. He is doing something with his throat so that it is a steady pulsating. Is this normal? This is my first tort. View attachment 273284
Welcome, nice looking tort. The pulsating in his throat your seeing is him sniffing. He's smelling his new surroundings. I bet his head kind of bobs when he does it too? Congrats on your new baby!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What type of humidifier is best? I’m heading to PetSmart shortly and need to pick one up.
Personally ive never used one. I have a closed chamber. What kind of enclosure do you have? Is it possible to seal it off?

PatC

Baton Rouge, LA
Personally ive never used one. I have a closed chamber. What kind of enclosure do you have? Is it possible to seal it off?

I have a zoo med tortoise habitat. I guess I could close off some with a towel over the top away from the light.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to you and Taz!

I live with a redfoot named Darwin in New Hampshire.

IMG_9480.jpg

Jamie