compassrose26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Re: RE: Meet Kyra & Kerry, "Kura-Kura" from Malaysia

Tita said:
compassrose26 said:
So cute!!

Hi there! That must be Lucy in your pix? How old is she, I can't enlarge the thumbnail somehow, who's next to Lucy.. looks like another RF from afar.

Great to meet someone who majored in Biology/Zoology & leaning towards wildlife conservation & ecology. The members of our forum would surely benefit from your knowledge & experience :)

Yep that's Lucy! Lilo is next to her, I caught the bug and got another one:) thank you!! I'm actually still in school, but I hope I can help more in the future!

Sorry I forgot to say that I'm not sure how old Lucy is, I got her from a pet store in August. Lilo hatched in mid July, though!

Tita

5 Year Member
Malaysia, Southeast Asia
julietteq said:
Hi, Your story sounds a lot like mine. My 3 children wanted tortoises but I have completely fallen in love with them myself! Hope the same will happen to you.

BTW: the kids still love them!

Hi Juliette, glad to join the club of moms with tortoises for their kids :)

My daughter started lying on the floor and placing our throw cushion on her back saying she was a tortoise when she was just 2+. She probably saw them on telly but was totally smitten. She started with a ceramic collection of tortoise magnets that she took with her where she went then soft toys and finally our redfoot babies. Tortoise Progress.jpg

Her interest grew when we went to the Lost World of Tambun in Ipoh, Perak here in Malaysia and she saw many species of tortoises and turtles & was brave enough to feed one big tortoise as can be seen here. Turtle feeding.jpg She was a fan of carrots after we returned from the trip!

What type of tortoise is yours and how long have you had them?

gieseygirly said:
How adorable - enjoy!

Thank you, do also share pix for all of yours. You have quite a few it seems :) Which one is on your profile pix? I'm pretty much a late starter but hope to catch up and do my best for them!

Aside from online research and reading forum threads, I still love the feel of pages between my fingers so managed to find these ^_^ I saw a book on Redfoots in captive care online but yet to find it in bookshops here.

Tortoise books.jpg

A hectic year end so far, looking forward to a quiet weekend to read more!

AZtortMom said:
Very cute and welcome 😀

TQ very much from a redfoot mom ^_^

Blake m said:
Very pretty Redfoots. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the compliment, Blake. I just read that giving them fruits like strawberries and papayas may help enhance my redfoots' colour. Would you reckon this is fact or myth?

By the way, what kind of tortoises do you have..

Jacqui said:
Hi Tita and welcome! I also got my first turtles as an adult, for my children, but it quickly became for me. :D Those are beautiful tortoises. :)

Hi Jacqui,

Such a cute signature! Can't help but smile ^_^

Thanks to our kids, sounds like we are on the same boat! You however have progressed far beyond though. Kudos for your efforts to create turtle/tortoise rescue, truly sounds that you're loving what you do.

I can see a lil redfoot there am I right? Looking all cosy, how long have you had him/her & what's the name.

Do you have a blog on your tortoises perhaps?

pfara said:
Hmm.. I tried uploading a picture on my phone but it didn't work AND it deleted my post. I'm very glad to hear that they're doing well. And unless you had an exact hatch date, I wouldn't worry about their age. They'll all grow at different rates which makes it very difficult to determine age. It's nice to meet you and I hope you keep us posted on your new additions :D

Here's a recent picture of tortoise meatball day.

Nice to meet you too & thanks for sharing the pix. I'm pretty much a photoholic and appreciate visuals :D

Ah, feast day!! They must love the meatballs, you mixed it in with some veggies too right? I was advised on low fat cat food and I also read boiled egg can also be given for their protein fix. New idea for meatballs :)

Noted on age but if they are not yet a year old, should I still feed them protein? I came across an article that mentioned it should only be given to yearlings and not for tortoises less than a year. Hence, haven't given mine any protein just yet. Any thoughts?

mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome. They are adorable..one trick i learned. Pour water on the sides of your enclosure to keep your humidity up. This way they wont be walking or laying in it.. :)

Below my signature there is a good site for redfoot care i came across

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind compliment.

That's an excellent tip! Thank you very much, will do that :D At least it's comforting to know they won't be walking or laying in it since it's right at the edge and on the sides.

Appreciate the site recommendation too, keep on sharing any useful tips you may have learned from anywhere else. Thanks much!

compassrose26 said:
Tita said:
compassrose26 said:
So cute!!

Hi there! That must be Lucy in your pix? How old is she, I can't enlarge the thumbnail somehow, who's next to Lucy.. looks like another RF from afar.

Great to meet someone who majored in Biology/Zoology & leaning towards wildlife conservation & ecology. The members of our forum would surely benefit from your knowledge & experience :)

Yep that's Lucy! Lilo is next to her, I caught the bug and got another one:) thank you!! I'm actually still in school, but I hope I can help more in the future!

Sorry I forgot to say that I'm not sure how old Lucy is, I got her from a pet store in August. Lilo hatched in mid July, though!

So it took you just 1 month to fall in love and get another. Cool! :p

My hubs insisted we get a pair although I read some threads that tortoises are not meant to live in pairs. However, there was an exception for redfoots and few others so pheeewww.. so far I think they are getting along ok. Kyra is more active and is always moving while Kerry is slow & steady, more laid back. She tends to sleep in the hide while Kyra is fine out in the open. I have a vid of them eating together and you can so see the difference haha

Having the tortoises with you I'm sure would be a push factor for you to study more and offer your expertise once you've graduated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tita

5 Year Member
Malaysia, Southeast Asia
Just wanted to share an update :)

After a month, Kerry (on the left) grew more than Kyra although Kyra is constantly hungry! Once Kyra is done with her greens, she will help Kerry out with hers :p Kyra is very active though, always out and about so we're thinking maybe she 'burns' her food faster hence leaner? Kerry eats less but moves less as well.

During their 1st visit to the vet a month ago, both were measured at 2.1 inches and now Kerry is 2.36 inches n Kyra is 2.24 inches. Just wonderinf are their increase in lengths considered normal growth rate?

Attachments

• 1387964270476.jpg
    1387964270476.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 9