Meet Captain Cuddles

Status
Not open for further replies.

katalyzt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi guys! I just got my new Sulcata yesterday :) His name is Captain Cuddles and he's about 3 yrs old (according to the pet store). He is currently living in a temporary home while I design and build a more permanent living establishment. He is my first tortoise but not my first reptile.

His temporary enclosure still needs a lot of work and I'll be stoping by the store on the way home tonight to get him some more hides and plants and stuff so he can be more comfortable while I work on his new tortoise mansion.

eDYQ0

8Hj1y

xBfmI

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katalytz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know apx. where in the world you are?

Captain Cuddles is a real cutey pie. His enclosure, however, seems a little small to me. Are you able to get him outside occasionally? They really do much better outside.

katalyzt

5 Year Member
Colorado
My name is David and I live in Colorado. I agree it is small for him but it's only ment to house him for about a week while I work on a much larger one. I've been looking at some of the enclosures on this site to get some ideas and I'm thinking about a 5'x8' would be a nice start for him. He will be going outside close to if not every day.

katalyzt

5 Year Member
Colorado
Okay so emysemys and Captain Cuddles' desire to wander has forced me to expand his temp habitat:) Pics follow. I'm still thinking of new ideas for a second level to add some space for the time being.

I've added another section using another tub and the ever useful duct tape (to smooth edges as well as join the enclosures). After one day the original night light has died/broke so now there is a coil heat lamp on it on his new section. I'll grab a new heat lamp tomorrow. I also have added a thermometer and I think I need another source of heat for his main basking area since it is hovering around 90. Suggestions?

Full view:
sGNY6.jpg

Captain Cuddles tasting some of the new foliage.
uR286.jpg

Left side of the enclosure with Cap. Cuddles checking it out.
JeBGd.jpg

Right side of the enclosure with a new hide.
OExJQ.jpg

I'm no duct tape master but in this case I think I did rather well. Hopefully he likes his new addition and I can come up with a clever way to give him a second story soon.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
now there is a coil heat lamp on it on his new section.

Are you referring to the curly uvb bulb? If so I would not use that in such a confined space....I understand the need for heat but perhaps you can simply use a regular flood light for heat until you get a better uvb/heat bulb?????

Are you meaning that you are leaving a bright light on for the night for heat? are you able to provide him a warm darker spot in the enclosure for the night? I mean I totally understand the dilemma, just aksing..:D

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Forum :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Some basics: You can use any incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store to give him the right amount of heat. You can lower the lamp or raise the wattage to get the right basking temps. I like to put these lamps on a timer for around 12 hours. Next you need a ceramic heating element to maintain your ambient and night temps where you want them. This will keep it dark at night, but still give you the warmth you want. I put these on a thermostat so they are always on and working, but cut off when the temps are warm enough.

If your tortoise is getting real outside sunshine nearly every day, you do not need any artificial indoor UV.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum!
Nice enclosure :)
Keep them hot, and humid :)

Status
Not open for further replies.