measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
How do you measure a tortoise? I have a baby and wanted to track its growth in order to accommodate his changing his changing dietary needs.

Thanks!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
1) SCL=Straight Carapace Length
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

2) and weigh it regularly- same day each month.

3) Record

Also if it is tiny you can trace it or set it on a scanner and scan it (just make sure the scanner does not get hot).
If you trace it each month you trace over the original and mark the date and wt.

What ever method you use, use the same one each time whether you record it weekly, bi-monthyl or monthly.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Crazy1 said:
1) SCL=Straight Carapace Length
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

2) and weigh it regularly- same day each month.

3) Record

Also if it is tiny you can trace it or set it on a scanner and scan it (just make sure the scanner does not get hot).
If you trace it each month you trace over the original and mark the date and wt.

What ever method you use, use the same one each time whether you record it weekly, bi-monthyl or monthly.

Ha! That link was neat Crazy1. I have never seen that done before. I will have to remember that. Thank you!

ARKelly

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
SCL and weight (in mm and gr.) are my favorites, but based on notes I have seen in field work research, I have also been tracking a few other things...

- CCL- Curved Carapace Length- the distance from the notch behind the head to the point above the tail, measured along the back. When I started to measure this, I was fascinated by the results- my big guy was growing quicker measured in CCL than in SCL. I have also seen some formula somewhere that suggests that you MAY be able to either sex or determine a region for Red-foots based on the ratio of SCL to CCL. Further research was called for.

- Plastron ring count. Counting the same 4 plastron scutes and reporting the average ring count. It certainly disproves the 'count the rings for age' element, but it also seems to be an interesting indicator of growth rates.

By the way- I LOVE TLady's method of SCL measurement- but be aware that this method gets you different results than calipers or some other methods do because of he notch behind the head. Not a big deal or big difference, just something to note if you use different methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.