Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnydenicola

5 Year Member
Hi,

My name is Jon and my cherryhead redfoot tortoise, Ember, is a baby! I'm not sure exactly how old she is. (I think she) She is 4 days old to me but from what I've looked up I'm guessing 3-6 months. She is very active and not afraid of me at all. I don't have a very big home for her but I'm working on a tortoise table every day. Right now I live in Bountiful, Utah so my biggest issue is humidity. I haven't figured out how to keep it humid enough but her substrate not soaked. Im excited to talk to people because every time I look something up I get opposite answers all over the place and its starting to irk me.

I hope to get great answers so that my beautiful tortoise can out live me!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
opposite answers all over the place and its starting to irk me.

LOL...uh, welcome to the world of captive torts....you will find that you will want to provide the basics and then you will need to do some tweaks as time goes on..yeah, I know---not much help huh? but as you get going you can check in with questions :D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Pictures of your enclosure will help! Fitting a lid or covering your screen top will be the easiest way to lock in humidity and heat. When designing your tort table, keep in mind that a closed chamber will work the best.

Jonnydenicola

5 Year Member
When I first talked to petco about tortoises they said a small tank would be fine. I found out from the Internet that this is way to small but until my table is build I just make sure to have her climb on towels until she gets tired. She is very easy to read so far and a lot Should I make my table close to air tight? Why does a humidifier cause respiratory problems. Is there something like a sponge I could put out of her reach to keep humidity like a guitar humidifier or cigar humidor. I went to massage therapy school and love to learn exactly why things are or ways they should happen.

Where it says "and a lot" I was trying to say a lot easier to get attached to the some of the stories I've read. I accidentally pushed send.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Jonnydenicola said:
When I first talked to petco about tortoises they said a small tank would be fine. I found out from the Internet that this is way to small but until my table is build I just make sure to have her climb on towels until she gets tired. She is very easy to read so far and a lot Should I make my table close to air tight? Why does a humidifier cause respiratory problems. Is there something like a sponge I could put out of her reach to keep humidity like a guitar humidifier or cigar humidor. I went to massage therapy school and love to learn exactly why things are or ways they should happen.

Where it says "and a lot" I was trying to say a lot easier to get attached to the some of the stories I've read. I accidentally pushed send.

They def can't live in a small tank, I would return the one they sold you for a larger one, so that until you build your table, your tortoise has space. What do you mean by climbing on towels? Humidifiers don't cause respiratory infections. High humidity and low temps do. I have a thermostat on my Redfoots enclosure. It sets the temps at a constant 83 (under basking bulb 95) and humidity and a constant 80. A sponge won't do anything. Can you give us a breakdown of your setup? Temps (day,night,basking, cool side). Dimensions of your cage, type of bulbs, what your doing for humidity. Pics would help the most. Search " closed chamber" and use the pics as a guide to set up your tortoise table. Here's a pic of mine.ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367047597.935365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jon, and welcome to the Forum!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome to the forum. I had the same problem before I found the forum. The info I got was so conflicting and confusing. This is the RIGHT place for you!

Jonnydenicola

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367393358.461529.jpg this is my almost finished table! I just have to finish fabricating the fencing and the humidifier piping. I think I'm going to have to get another light as well. What is the advantage of the colored lights?

Last edited by a moderator:

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Jon and Welcome to the forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.