I'm new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

k@T

5 Year Member
The person I gave it from her, told me It's spur thighed tort and a vet confirm that

I feed him vegetables, grasses and less fruits as mixed

Katherine

5 Year Member
k@T said:
The person I gave it from her, told me It's spur thighed tort and a vet confirm that

I feed him vegetables, grasses and less fruits as mixed

Unfortunately the problem with the term "spur thigh" is that multiple tortoises have spurs on their thighs making this a confusing and vague way to describe your tortoise species. The tortoise in your pictures is most definitely not an African 'Spur Thigh' or Sulcata tortoise. I believe (although I am not sure and hope someone familiar with them well come correct or confirm!!) it is Greek tortoise, also known as a spur thigh tortoise. This would mean the person you purchased it from and your vet were accurate, but perhaps confusing in conveying the information. On this forum we almost always refer to Sulcata tortoises as such, rather then calling them spur thighs for the exact reason of avoiding this confusion. Hope that helps...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It looks like a Mediterranean spur thigh to me. Testudo Graeca Ibera (Ibera for short)

I have Testudo Graeca Graeca which is also a Med spur thigh and is very similar.

Diet for both is leafy greens avoiding fruit as they can't process the sugars.

A clear photo of the tort from the front and a plastron shot (undershell) including the tail will clear things up :)

k@T

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
It looks like a Mediterranean spur thigh to me. Testudo Graeca Ibera (Ibera for short)

I have Testudo Graeca Graeca which is also a Med spur thigh and is very similar.

Diet for both is leafy greens avoiding fruit as they can't process the sugars.

A clear photo of the tort from the front and a plastron shot (undershell) including the tail will clear things up :)

tnx for your help. here are more pics. I here that this tortoise is endemic of Iran, maybe it can help.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.