Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Should be fine for a radiated. Many people feed this to all different types of tortoises.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
IMO the sulcata is one of the (if not THE) stereotypic tortoise(s) for the pet trade, which is probably why it was used on the bag of Mazuri. It should be fine for radiateds.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
Thanks. Can I feed it every day?

Radiateds are a herbivorous species of tortoise, and Mazuri with its high protein content should only be fed weekly.

Radiated

5 Year Member
What happens when the tortoise gets too much protein???

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
What happens when the tortoise gets too much protein???

If there is not adequate humidity or if the tortoise isn't properly hydrated, the shells will show signs of deformity. Pyramiding and MBD (metabolic bone disease) are 2 forms. If it's on a more serious scale, liver and kidney diseases will also occur. I'm sure that another, more experienced keeper will chime in on this.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.

When fed too much ANIMAL protein, a tortoise will suffer those deformities.

MBD does not in any way come from being fed protein. It comes from a lack of calcium, lack of D3, lack of varied diet, and dehydration.

Mazuri contains PLANT protein. Plant protein is not harmful to tortoises in any way that has ever been proven or that I have ever seen in almost 20 years of tortoise keeping.

It isn't necessary to feed Mazuri every day, but yes, you can. There are many keepers that feed Mazuri exclusively. I don't use it in anymore than 50% of the total diet.

I have several tortoises that have been fed Mazuri every day for their entire lives, and not one is deformed, pyramided, or unhealthy in any way.

samstar

5 Year Member
I feed mine Mazuri 6 days a week. They are more than beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.