jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I think once a week is about right.

John

5 Year Member
Thatsa matter of preference,some don't use it at all.I personally use it everyday mixed with grasses and the store bought leafy green of the week,which happens to be collards and escarole this week.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Iv tried putting it on his food and it comes out thick, he has only ate that once!
But lately i just soften them up with water and smush it up and let him eat!
He only eats one to two mouthfulls so far :)

John

5 Year Member
it took one of mine a couple months,when I first got him he would eat nothing but lettuce,now he eats anything I offer just like the others

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
squamata said:
Thatsa matter of preference,some don't use it at all.I personally use it everyday mixed with grasses and the store bought leafy green of the week,which happens to be collards and escarole this week.

I've been debating on how much I want to give mine per week. Right now I'm on a Tuesday Thursday calcium/Mazuri schedule.

Everytime someone sees an uneven shell and Mazuri in the diet they assume that its the source...so that's what I'm afraid of. That and the fact that he'll eat the Mazuri first before anything and if he has his fill on Mazuri he won't touch the greens.

I might just give him one pellet of Mazuri a day AFTER he eats his fill of the greens. He can't resist no matter how full he is of greens

John

5 Year Member
FernandoM said:
squamata said:

I've been debating on how much I want to give mine per week. Right now I'm on a Tuesday Thursday calcium/Mazuri schedule.

Everytime someone sees an uneven shell and Mazuri in the diet they assume that its the source...so that's what I'm afraid of. That and the fact that he'll eat the Mazuri first before anything and if he has his fill on Mazuri he won't touch the greens.

I might just give him one pellet of Mazuri a day AFTER he eats his fill of the greens. He can't resist no matter how full he is of greens

Its good too try and find what works for you and go with that.Just about everything is debateable when it comes to torts,if you do your homework and get all the info,you can than see what makes sense to you.As I said a matter of preference

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes, thats the answer iv been getting!
I think i will feed him the diet once a week so he doesnt fall in love with it and will want other food, i also sprinkle cuttlebone over his food daily!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
squamata said:
FernandoM said:
squamata said:

Its good too try and find what works for you and go with that.Just about everything is debateable when it comes to torts,if you do your homework and get all the info,you can than see what makes sense to you.As I said a matter of preference

Oh of course that's understandable.

John

5 Year Member
Yes I do cuttlebone all the time and a calcium powder with d/3 once a week during the inside months I won't use the d/3 when they are out during the day.I try too give them all they need in their diet,the supplement is just a little insurance.d/e can be harmful if overdone,but I feel once aweek is not a danger.this is just what I do,not a recomendation

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
squamata said:

Gotta side with John on this one. A year ago, I wouldn't touch Mazuri for the life of me! I liked Zoo Med Grassland Diet...cuz it has everything a tortoise is supposed to eat...but it deterred their growth. So I started mixing it with Mazuri twice a week! Now! I sometimes feed the Mazuri solo...but mostly with greens...but definitely everyday. Any tort under 4 inches isn't going to need more than 5 or 6 biscuits at a time. But, I offer 5 or 6 biscuits (to the yearlings) 3 times a day.:tort:

Cuttlebone is one of the best calcium supplements...but CACTUS is better and also a GREAT source of fiber. I've only heard of one or two sulcatas refusing cactus...but it's the perfect food for them...another item I offer at least every other day! If you don't grow your own or don't know where to find it here's the best I've found...very tender...perfect for the baby.

www.rivenrock.com

Status
Not open for further replies.