maybe not hermann's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repti82

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
my fiance and i are really researching and trying to find the best tortoise for us. we were thinking Western Hermann's (we want western, not eastern or any other subspecies) but i also like Egyptian. so this is what we want. small and cute. set up and care differences dont matter to us. we havent bought or built anything yet until we are 100% ready. so i need suggestions on nice small pretty tortoise species. we like Egyptian, western Hermanns, Radiated, and Indian Star. this is what we like

More Rounded shell. bowl like, not oblong
bright, vibrant colors through adult hood.
SMALL size
easy to find and purchase. we really like the Western Hermanns but from what we have read they are hard to find. if anyone can set us in the right direction to find them or find another species that will suite us that would be great! :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Egyptians, Radiated and Stars are not really good "starter" tortoises because of their price, somewhat specific needs and in some cases rarity. Radiateds will require a federal C.B.W. permit to purchase or transport across state lines.

In terms of prices of the species that you mention: Egyptians-$400, 500 and up; Western Hermanns-$250, $350, $700 & up; Radiateds-$950, $1,200 and into the several thousands; Indian Stars-$300, $450 and up.

Of the above species Indian Stars are the most common and most attainable, then Radiateds with Westerns and Egyptians being about equally as uncommonly for sale.

Although you may not be interested some of the best starter species that stay relatively small are Dalmatian and Eastern Hermann's they are colorful, inexpensive ($100-150) compared to any of the above and much more outgoing and curious than any of the above.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:
Egyptians, Radiated and Stars are not really good "starter" tortoises because of their price, somewhat specific needs and in some cases rarity. Radiateds will require a federal C.B.W. permit to purchase or transport across state lines.

In terms of prices of the species that you mention: Egyptians-$400, 500 and up; Western Hermanns-$250, $350, $700 & up; Radiateds-$950, $1,200 and into the several thousands; Indian Stars-$300, $450 and up.

Of the above species Indian Stars are the most common and most attainable, then Radiateds with Westerns and Egyptians being about equally as uncommonly for sale.

Although you may not be interested some of the best starter species that stay relatively small are Dalmatian and Eastern Hermann's they are colorful, inexpensive ($100-150) compared to any of the above and much more outgoing and curious than any of the above.

2nd all the EXCELLENT advice above! :cool:

Repti82, you really don't want any of those as a "starter" tortoise...find a young adult Eastern or Dalmation Hermann's and get ready to be charmed...these are the PERFECT tortoise pet.

As charming as a sulcata w/o the huge-factor!

71d92068-6ae4-4eed-a745-fa0f84f3686c

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I couldn't have put it any better than Gary on this one.

As for a starter tortoise, I definitely do not recommend any of the species you're interested in. And my reasons are:

Indian Star-although extremely common and easy to obtain, they can be very tricky and suffer from respiratory infections very very easily. They also get to a nice size, my adult females were 9".

Radiated-Up to 16" for these guys, although gorgeous, they need serious room and like Gary stated, you will need a CBW permit. It costs $200 and has to be renewed every 3 years.

Egyptian-Hatchlings are not incredibly hard to find and they do stay small, but they can also be tricky like Indian stars. However, if you're willing to really do your homework, I think it could work for you.

Western Hermann's-The hardest to find out of these and there are many impurity issues with them. Many of those who think they have them actually have bastards or crossed with the other Hermann's subspecies. Also, they really should be kept in a situation where someone is looking to prolong their existence by eventually breeding them. Again, if you're willing to do your homework then this species may work for you. If you'd like to be placed on my 2013 waiting list for hatchlings, we may be able to work something out but please know there are many people ahead of you.

I'd also like to agree again with the already stated info here in that there is nothing wrong with obtaining an Eastern or Dalmatian Hermann's. These are not incredibly large animals, have killer personalities and are just beautiful if raised correctly. They are very hardy, well suited for captivity and there are plenty around. They are some of my personal favorites. They make excellent beginner tortoises.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.