Maybe moving and have questions

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i maybe moving here soon back to the south Louisiana to be specific to be closer to family it's just me and my mom in oregon, i had the question of how could i get my tortoise there? it's going to take me 2-3 day's on a bus to get there so it's not like i can pack him up and take him and i can't ship him and have someone who i trust to recieve it because all my family lacks basic reptile/tortoise knowledge

i will have my own house when i get there so it's not like housing is going to be a problem.

the only thing i can think of is try to find someone i trust here to over night him to me once im there. any other thoughts that might work?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
How big is he?

I'm wondering if you can pack him in a container with heat packs and just take him for the drive.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
part of the problem is im going to need at least a few day's once i get there to build his enclosure.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
You didn't answer how big the tortoises is. That will help inform for better answers. Might also include what species and how long you have had your pet.

5" red foot and 2 years since i've been a member of this site pretty much.

i'm not really sure what how long i've had him has to do with anything but yeah

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The length of time you have had the tortoise would indicate you can interpret it's individual behavior, they are all a little different. The species indicates how well it could adapt to any short term travel venue. The size indicates how large a travel enclosure ought to be.

Most animals can be brought alone while traveling as companion or support animals. This goes so far as people bring their pet dogs into restaurants ordering for them, and placing them on the dinning table to eat from the plate. So there does seem to be quit a bit of acceptance of this companion animal thing.

So, you can indeed take your tortoise on the bus. It is small enough and a species that could do okay with up to a week of awkward enclosure life. This relies on the current health status, if it's in good health you can . . .

Place it in a sweater or shoe box with moistened sphagnum. Have some toilet safe wipes to clean any feces that are deposited and put them into the travel toilet at the back of the bus. Some pre-prepared food items like butternut squash or banana can be used for food if YOU are uncomfortable with the tortoise not feeding for the few days of the journey.

It can work. If you want to try this.

Had it been a 60 sulcata that you got a month ago, well then this would not work.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
The length of time you have had the tortoise would indicate you can interpret it's individual behavior, they are all a little different. The species indicates how well it could adapt to any short term travel venue. The size indicates how large a travel enclosure ought to be.

Most animals can be brought alone while traveling as companion or support animals. This goes so far as people bring their pet dogs into restaurants ordering for them, and placing them on the dinning table to eat from the plate. So there does seem to be quit a bit of acceptance of this companion animal thing.

So, you can indeed take your tortoise on the bus. It is small enough and a species that could do okay with up to a week of awkward enclosure life. This relies on the current health status, if it's in good health you can . . .

Place it in a sweater or shoe box with moistened sphagnum. Have some toilet safe wipes to clean any feces that are deposited and put them into the travel toilet at the back of the bus. Some pre-prepared food items like butternut squash or banana can be used for food if YOU are uncomfortable with the tortoise not feeding for the few days of the journey.

It can work. If you want to try this.

Had it been a 60 sulcata that you got a month ago, well then this would not work.

i just looked only service dogs are permitted on bus's and they'll kick you off if they find you hiding a animal

but he is in excellent health so no worries there i may just have to take my chances and have someone here send him to me i really dont want to do that tho because nobody here has reptile knowledge and when i say i feed him greens and salads i get " oh you mean lettuce?"

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Why not ship her to a family member in LA i feel like it would be less stressful then sitting on a bus for a few days. If you can't ship then I would do what above stated . its Gunna be stressful either way. Key is once you get to the new home is to let her adapt as stress free as possible

Kyle

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When are you moving? I'm still here and I've shipped 2 torts.

Depending on when and how long, maybe I could temporarily house him then ship him your way.
Pm me if you want.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Why not ship her to a family member in LA i feel like it would be less stressful then sitting on a bus for a few days. If you can't ship then I would do what above stated . its Gunna be stressful either way. Key is once you get to the new home is to let her adapt as stress free as possible

Kyle

my family back there isn't the least bit knowledgeable with reptiles specially tortoises
When are you moving? I'm still here and I've shipped 2 torts.

Depending on when and how long, maybe I could temporarily house him then ship him your way.
Pm me if you want.

im not 100% sure when but probably pretty soon. a landlord who is refusing to make repair's that have been needed are making we wanna go even sooner lol.

my mom is staying behind for month or two so she could probably take care of him for a while but she and i have no idea how to ship so i may need your help with that