Maximum Water Depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elainea

5 Year Member
Hello all!

I have a Greek tortoise, Spiffy. She is probably 4" tall at her highest carapace length.

I'm building a new enclosure for her and I found this great water fall/filtration system, but the minimum water depth is four inches. Is this too deep for my tortoise?

I'm hoping to build in a watering hole for her to soak/drink from & thought a filter would be great!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
You can add some small rocks( pebbles) to the bottom of it if its to deep so he can walk on them

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
I would say yes, with that deep of water she could easily drown.

Although would the waterfall still function with the tub area filled with med sized rocks or pebbles? Just enough for her to drink but not drown. (keeping them big enough that she would not eat the stones or pebbles)

If you can Modify the water fall safely where she will not drown or be injured, then i would say go for it.

I am new, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon to agree with me or to correct me if i'm wrong.

good luck, :)

elainea

5 Year Member
That's what I'm wondering. Would the filter aspect function even if the rocks are in the bottom? I'm assuming so, that the water just needs to be able to cover the little suction part.

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
elainea said:
That's what I'm wondering. Would the filter aspect function even if the rocks are in the bottom? I'm assuming so, that the water just needs to be able to cover the little suction part.

I think that should work, I would check it once a week though as the bowl will most likely get dirty anyway and need a wipe out.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Sounds to deep, you can get rocks, stones, or slates to raise the bottoms floors as many do!

Status
Not open for further replies.