Max Temps?

John84

Would anyone be able to tell me what is the hottest temp a sulcata can tolerate? My new enclosure is in the garage and I'm worried about it getting to hot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Would anyone be able to tell me what is the hottest temp a sulcata can tolerate? My new enclosure is in the garage and I'm worried about it getting to hot.

Do you mean as an overall ambient, or the basking area?

Ambient in the low 90's is okay if it cools back down to 80 over night. Ambient creeping past the high 90's would be dangerous.

John84

Yes, I meant the overall ambient. Today it was 88 degrees and is just now winding down to 84 degrees. Both vents that I had were covered to keep humidity but I uncovered them for now to see if it will help with the overall heat in the enclosure. My worry is as it hits 100+ degrees outside it will be to hot in the garage for my little guy. Any options? Thank you so much for your help Tom!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, I meant the overall ambient. Today it was 88 degrees and is just now winding down to 84 degrees. Both vents that I had were covered to keep humidity but I uncovered them for now to see if it will help with the overall heat in the enclosure. My worry is as it hits 100+ degrees outside it will be to hot in the garage for my little guy. Any options? Thank you so much for your help Tom!

I use lower wattage bulbs in summer, and go from two basking bulbs in a 4x8' closed chamber to one. Plus they are outside a lot more in summer with the indoor lights all off. I let ambient creep up to 93ish, but after that I begin venting and shutting lights off. In your case I would say that 95+ is cause for concern.

John84

I do have a similar style enclosure as yours, very similar. I actually you see yours as an example. I am current only runny one basking bulb and one repti sun uvb 10.0 tube. I would take him out to his outside enclose first thing in the morning, but he would not have much humidity. image.jpeg

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It is 86 here today and going to be warmer tomorrow . Speedy has found a cool shady spot in the corner, I also go out and soak him with a squirt bottle every so often. He also has a big tray of water to climb in and out of ! :)