Matteo Got Too Hot! Lethargic. Therm Malfunction…

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I’ve been monitoring the CHE with an Inkbird thermostat and a thermometer that were both supposed to alert me. They didn’t.

Last week I checked on Matteo, and the enclosure and the CHE hood felt too warm so I checked with my heat gun. I swear I could smell Matteo. The temp was about 110-120F. I don’t remember exactly, but it was hot! Matteo has been lethargic since then. I’m soaking but he sometimes doesn’t poop or eat.

Is it too late?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow so sorry. That stinks.
If he's alive then keep up hope. Give him a couple warm soaks daily and I would feed some watery foods for a few days.
Good luck and keep us posted.
@Yvonne G

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sorry to hear of this malfunction.

Do you have the CHE connected via a thermostat? Or is the inkbird just set to “alarm” you?

Try to upload a pix of the enclosure & set up. Trust, but verify heating sources. Hopefully your tort will be ok…

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I’ve been monitoring the CHE with an Inkbird thermostat and a thermometer that were both supposed to alert me. They didn’t.

Last week I checked on Matteo, and the enclosure and the CHE hood felt too warm so I checked with my heat gun. I swear I could smell Matteo. The temp was about 110-120F. I don’t remember exactly, but it was hot! Matteo has been lethargic since then. I’m soaking but he sometimes doesn’t poop or eat.

Is it too late?
How is he today?

This is the second time this has happened to you.I understand if you have a lot of torts you're gonna have deaths....but your wording and all is almost word for word....I could be wrong...

Quixx66

Louisiana
How is he today?

This is the second time this has happened to you.I understand if you have a lot of torts you're gonna have deaths....but your wording and all is almost word for word....I could be wrong...
Was me, happened again. I recently upgraded to a WI-FI Inkbird because of that first incident. I just used his basking light day and night to keep warm during the winter. I thought the alarm would work. I even pre-tested it. Didn’t work. Even my backup hygrometer alarm didn’t work. Trying to find alternatives to CHEs. They get too hot for me.

Well, he’s eating a bit of Mazuri, not his spring mix, but he’s still slow and weak.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Sorry to hear of this malfunction.

Do you have the CHE connected via a thermostat? Or is the inkbird just set to “alarm” you?

Try to upload a pix of the enclosure & set up. Trust, but verify heating sources. Hopefully your tort will be ok…
Yes, it’s connected to an Inkbird Wi-Fi thermostat with a alarm. I pre-tested it several times to see if would alarm. It did except when I needed it to. It’s supposed to heat and shut off at a certain temps. It started not registering the correct temperature. And it’s new.