Mating this late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_Waffs

5 Year Member
I just witnessed what had to have been two of my Boxies mating. The female is barely over 4 inches, and it's late July... should I even expect any fertile eggs? She wouldn't even lay them until late September which is around the time I take them into hibernation. Plus the female looks like a Desert and the male is something else. Southern I think.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I know female boxies store sperm in their bodies so you may get some, I think we will have a later summer this year, so anything is possible. I do know some hybrids exist but those I have seen where usully like western and eastern mixed, I can't say about desert and southern

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The different species of box turtles DO interbreed, however, I think your female is a little too small yet. There might not have been actual copulation occurring.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
If she did successfully reproduce, she will lay her eggs about a month after fertilization. Many box turtles mate this late and even later than this. It's not unusual for hatchlings to stay buried throughout the winter and emerge in the spring.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.