Marginated behavior

landon

5 Year Member
My marginated has been digging herself into the bottom of the tank and just making a tunnel from one side of the enclosure to the other all morning is it normal? ImageUploadedByTortForum1382373322.981932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Think she's trying to burrow how deep is your substrate? Is it cooler in the enclosure lately?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hmmm, I don't know. Baby tortoises like to dig in, and it is getting towards winter. However, I'd double check the temperatures - with the colder weather, the basking lamp may need to be moved down a little? Does she have a hide? Does she have a hot humid hide? Mine love to dig into the warm spagnum moss in the hide, they don't burrow a lot elsewhere in their enclosure. I keep them pretty warm though.

landon said:
My marginated has been digging herself into the bottom of the tank and just making a tunnel from one side of the enclosure to the other all morning is it normal?

landon

5 Year Member
During the day I have the hot spot at 90-92 and about 80 in the cooler side. I do not have a hide on the hot side only the cold side. During the night I have it about 80 in the hot side and 70 in the cold is this correct??? I spray the tank 3 times a day as well should I be putting another hide for the hot side?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Yes, I would definitely put a hide on the warm side. My hot humid hide is actually a small rubbermaid bin, with the lid, and a hole cut out in the side. I have it filled with very moist spaghnum moss, it's tropical in there. Providing such a hide is really good for a baby's smooth shell growth, and for their well-being. They LOVE hiding in there.

The temps sound OK, although the basking spot might actually be a little chilly. Margies like it hot in their basking spot, 95-100 degrees F.

landon said:
During the day I have the hot spot at 90-92 and about 80 in the cooler side. I do not have a hide on the hot side only the cold side. During the night I have it about 80 in the hot side and 70 in the cold is this correct??? I spray the tank 3 times a day as well should I be putting another hide for the hot side?