Manouria emys phayrei?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Tiger Cowboy said:
The trick with evolution is that just because a taxa shows more primitive features does not mean they stop evolving and changing, and in this case possibly becoming more complex socially than other species. It just means that the many characteristics were conserved. Thats why when you look at a (correctly drawn) evolutionary tree branches don't stop going until that group is definitely extinct.

Yeah, we have the primitive trait of having five fingers and toes, but that hasn't stopped us from becoming intelligent, either. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You people are killing me with this thread...

I want this species SOOOOOOO bad, and I even have a friend who breeds them, but I just don't have the right environment for them as adults... :(

Maybe I should just move so I can get some Manouria...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Tiger Cowboy said:
The trick with evolution is that just because a taxa shows more primitive features does not mean they stop evolving and changing, and in this case possibly becoming more complex socially than other species. It just means that the many characteristics were conserved. Thats why when you look at a (correctly drawn) evolutionary tree branches don't stop going until that group is definitely extinct.

Yeah, we have the primitive trait of having five fingers and toes, but that hasn't stopped us from becoming intelligent, either. :)

BTW - The octopus is another morphologically primitive, but behaviorally advanced animal.

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Birmingham, AL
Anyways evolution is for another thread. This thread is about Meps.

So what kind of enclosure are we talking here? I know big obviously. The guy I talked to about them said that one with a bunch of obstacles and plants is good to keep them occupied and keep them from getting bored. I was also thinking that if I could set it up with the right seed mixture they could feed themselves at least partly. Am I way off base here or is that a feasible thing? Most outdoor enclosures I see pictures of seem very compacted by the tortoises.....

(Tom, I will stop encouraging this thread along if you will send a leopard hatchie my way.... PM)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you plan to have more than one, then a larger pen is a must. Its very hard to have any type of ground cover grow with those huge feet tramping all over it every day (because you have to keep it moist/wet). My group of Mee live in an area about 24' x 48' (appx. doing it in my mind from memory), and there is one adult and 5 smaller tortoises in there. There is a partial fence across the middle so that they can't see from one end to the other.

The Mep, which are quite a bit larger, with three adults and 2 smaller tortoises, live in a pen appx. 60' x 40'. They have a partial fence too, along with quite a few large trees and bushes to break up sight.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
OK
So i bought a couple of yearlings at the Reptile(MEE'S) show last weekend .
For now i have them in a 40 gallon critter keeper with cypress mulch as a substrate .
The local breeder has this years hatchlings& last yrs hatchlings .
I bought 2 of the last years hatchlings,
I could not beleive the size difference in the yearlings ,
What i thinks is the male is approx.4"scl& female approx 3.5 scl .
They are eating greens & hibiscus flowers.
They are still a little shy but already in 1 week they are starting to reconize me as the food god& getting social.
Everytime I goggle this tort they talk about the Black but not much info on the brown?
I keep reading how the mee's don't get as large as the mep's but my question is How large do the mee's get?
In less than a week i am already beginning to really appreciate this tortoise species:):tort::tort:
Thanks for your help .
Mike D.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a fully grown female Mee, wildcaught but long term captive and quite old. She weighs 25lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.