Managing "overload" w/ laughter

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I am going to move my stuff in the next couple mos, to Kerry's much smaller home. We don't need duplicates so I am leaving nearly all the furnishings and even so...."It's never gonna make it" keeps ringing in my ear. I have a lot of interests so.......there's a ton of stuff! An entire eBay store of 10,000 lbs of parts, RC Airplane/car collection, the bikes in the garage and downstairs, the books, 3 sets of tools, not just sockets & hand tools, ALL of them! Welder, 4 compressors including of course a monster corner unit and so much other stuff. What goes in the dumpster I'm going to rent, what gets given away, what gets donated as "vintage gear" to a local club.... yeah.....this will take some planning! Yikes!

The "prepare to move thing" is an outsized task that I knew was inevitable. It's not a surprise. It has been a monster lurking over my shoulder for 6 years as it became apparent that we would be happier together on the Shore then over on my side of the Bay. We are brainstorming how to do it where my stuff all ends up where it's supposed to go and not a cluster. I have 14 sets of those HD plastic 4/5 shelf units to start with. I wonder it I can stack them 2 high? I can't imagine not, as long as I put the lightweight items on the top set.

So a lot of stuff going on in my head these days.

I wake at 12midnight w/ a zillion things on my mind, back to sleep, wake for good at 2....not bad, in a decent frame of mind.... I got this as long as we don't add too many more things to the equation....made coffee, poured a cup after I loosened the joints up a bit then I wander over took a sip and look at my phone....

"Hi baby, Jennie found the perfect solution, want to go see it"

Screensho_2.jpg

Then I cleaned up the coffee....with some spectacular language for so early in the morning, it was impressive!

Do you guys do this on purpose? Don't pretend, you girls all do it....LOL

She jerked my chain and like a sucker I overreacted...completely oblivious to what she was saying at first.

....dang I hate when she does that....you know, reminds me in her own way to calm down.

I have to remember........."this is fun stuff, not a chore".

It will be funny when she calls at 6am to chat on her way to school....we all know that she will be waiting to hear what my reaction was....

PS, she didn't wait. Like a little girl she just had to know so she just texted............."hunting" so came clean....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, is the house listing a real option? Sounds like just what you need.
You could just move all the stuff you want to keep and hire one of those people, not sure what they are called, estate sellers? that comes in and prices your stuff and sells it for you in a estate sale. Usually they will give you the option to get rid of whatever doesn't sell or they will.
Reminiscing as you go through it all will likely slow you down, as I'm sure you will find things you forgot all about. Just blast the jams and plow forward.
However you do it, good luck. It sounds like You have a big job ahead.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Psychologists and Dear Abby suggest strongly to buy a dwelling you each can agree on rather than move into one person or the other's home. Seems the sense of ownership won't leave. The other partner will always be in second place.

Sorry.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That home is a real thing but it's "not a good fit" for us. You are welcome to buy it W! ...that'd be fun but I read that you travel for Mom so there's that.

Look at it, sitting in the middle of some old farmers filed sold & built into a community. No privacy, no shade, no water, no woods....out in the open......her son rents a garage-turned 2bdrm apt in that community or the one next to it. That kind of place is like the worst to me. LOL

Psychologists and Dear Abby
Hi Angel of mine!

Kerry and I don't have any issues...we knew the tracks were coming to this point in time for quite some time! We'll get though it and we'll be fine....tired but fine. She has various ways of grounding me when I become static & a little twisted. Sending me that listing, was one! LOL she knew it would trigger self-reflection afterward, and it did and she was right(I hate admitting that part) life will go on and we'll be fine.

btw- Those two, I appreciate that they help others but they have got no explanation for Kerry & I....normal rules don't apply to superman & wonder woman. In 12 years, we've never fought, like ever. Neither of us has a weak personality either it just "works". You're still relatively new here AND you have already helped me before.....hang around a while...you'll see, it really isn't "normal".

The Paul Harvey part you couldn't have known-- when Kerry sold her other home 4 yrs ago, we found and bought this together, knowing we'd be in this place and maybe have a second. We were all together when her agent drove past the house....and we both fell in love with it.....she moved in w/ me for 4 mos while her paperwork got done.

We still love it, it's just smaller than my home...about half @ 1800sf
I've been saying it for years.....you know, that size thing, it does matter.

It's a "challenge" to fit this stuff, in there.

Last night she brought up a dark and scary word;

DOWNSIZING

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just an FYI, the woman is always right. Yes dear or anything you want dear, is usually the correct answer. Lol.
That house would be a good buy for me if I ever wanted to move out of Chicago. I like having neighbors and noise. But I love Chicago too much still to leave it.
I'm sure once you get into digging into down sizing and going thru all your stuff, you will realize how much you don't really need any more. Make it a party and have fun going thru it.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
That home is a real thing but it's "not a good fit" for us. You are welcome to buy it W! ...that'd be fun but I read that you travel for Mom so there's that.

Look at it, sitting in the middle of some old farmers filed sold & built into a community. No privacy, no shade, no water, no woods....out in the open......her son rents a garage-turned 2bdrm apt in that community or the one next to it. That kind of place is like the worst to me. LOL

Hi Angel of mine!

Kerry and I don't have any issues...we knew the tracks were coming to this point in time for quite some time! We'll get though it and we'll be fine....tired but fine. She has various ways of grounding me when I become static & a little twisted. Sending me that listing, was one! LOL she knew it would trigger self-reflection afterward, and it did and she was right(I hate admitting that part) life will go on and we'll be fine.

btw- Those two, I appreciate that they help others but they have got no explanation for Kerry & I....normal rules don't apply to superman & wonder woman. In 12 years, we've never fought, like ever. Neither of us has a weak personality either it just "works". You're still relatively new here AND you have already helped me before.....hang around a while...you'll see, it really isn't "normal".

The Paul Harvey part you couldn't have known-- when Kerry sold her other home 4 yrs ago, we found and bought this together, knowing we'd be in this place and maybe have a second. We were all together when her agent drove past the house....and we both fell in love with it.....she moved in w/ me for 4 mos while her paperwork got done.

DOWNSIZING

Hi Angel of mine!

DOWNSIZING
Ha. Downsizing. Emotional slippery slope. I downsized by shutting doors and never opening them again. I couldn't sell it even before it fell apart. She's 95 years old and has a good heart and has no ghosts, but no one wants to live in this town, including me. I'm a woods person. I didn't know I'd so dislike living in a town.

been able

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just an FYI, the woman is always right. Yes dear or anything you want dear, is usually the correct answer. Lol.
That house would be a good buy for me if I ever wanted to move out of Chicago. I like having neighbors and noise. But I love Chicago too much still to leave it.
I'm sure once you get into digging into down sizing and going thru all your stuff, you will realize how much you don't really need any more. Make it a party and have fun going thru it.
Or a yard sale.and have fun making a few dollars out of your junk.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
no one wants to live in this town, including me.

Got a piece of paper S?

Okay, a bad, inside joke. Georgetown SC is home to a paper mill. When coming into town from the South and come over a small hill, it looks to be the size of the SKYNET Headquarters in the Terminator movies! The issue is the smell....it gets into everything. The town is gorgeous though, at least we thought so. We looked at homes down there and you are right, outside the "city center", residentially zoned real estate doesn't get premium dollar. Even the wood in the homes has been infused with the smell.....hmmm, isn't that word used with a different intent these days?

I do feel bad in a way for you only that you want out and feel stuck.....to me, you still live in a pretty nice place with lots of different habitats close by. I hope it works out that you can be happy where you live.

Yard sale? I wonder how many old couples with too much time that show at 5am are searching for all correct 1973 kawasaki tool sets at 3-500 bills each? Doesn't really sound like my marketplace does it? LOL I will be forced into doing the fleabay thing again and my alter ego "Amber" will be back! I use a fake name/persona on fleabay and ship from outside my zipcode. No drama that way. I don't need folks knowing who I am & where I live on fleabay. This group I trust, that one, not a chance!

I saw my chiro and he has met Kerry....he's thrilled, then like a little kid he said "does that I mean I won't get to see you anymore?" It made me feel good....but he's been a blessing in so many ways...not sure what I'll do about the distance yet....it'll work itself out I imagine, just like all this will.

Needles and pins till Fri evening.....I just want to hear someone else say "from the looks of your finances, your plan is sound" I'm liable to jump up and scream "Emancipation" if he does.....I'm really so done with "work". In less than I year I went from setting my protégé loose to being fully ready to leave. Cool huh? My 1st job was in '69 @ 12 years old on a farm 10hrs per day 7 days a week @ .50 per hour. I will not miss working, ever! Not one little teensy weensy bit and admittedly, I had the worlds second best career(Tom's got the best) so there's a lot of fun memories. Besides, work is just in the way now that I don't need it.

Some folks here will get this, many won't and that's okay too....I cannot express the pure loathing inside that I have had my entire life for the "rat race". To cross the line doesn't make it ok with me, it just makes it over.

Too much coffee today guys, sorry...I'm putting up a wireless winched material lift running on Unistrut rails in the garage at the house over the Christmas break or at least doing a design, drawing and getting the material. It will give me easy access to a huge garage attic space. It has a fold down 10foot tall stairway but it's sketchy at best and carrying anything up them is taking "a chance".
Utube will show me how to frame it, right? I am a disaster with wood. I have all the tools, none of the required talent! It's usually pretty ugly, frustration, lots of bad words, letting Kerry take over....utterly humiliating. Too bad I can't frame it in pipe, I'm a wiz with that stuff & don't use colorful language either!

W, I don't think that Kerry is always correct but I do know that she is a "salt of the Earth" person so everything that comes out of her heart comes from a good place. That's why I can't get angry at her. I can also count on 1 hand the # of times that she's had to open her own door outside of when it's raining, every man for themselves. When you have Wonder woman.....you do whatever, to keep her happy because she has a choice too!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'll bet that garage/yard sale would include a few things I'd appreciate.
But those of us that know vintage motorcycle stuff are a dying breed. And I know that your motorcycle tastes are close to mine.
However, one mans Holy GRAIL is another man's rusty old garbage

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
From the looks of your finances your plan is sound.

Ta-da!

I'm actually happy. I know how it all ends.
Got a piece of paper S?

Okay, a bad, inside joke. Georgetown SC is home to a paper mill. When coming into town from the South and come over a small hill, it looks to be the size of the SKYNET Headquarters in the Terminator movies! The issue is the smell....it gets into everything. The town is gorgeous though, at least we thought so. We looked at homes down there and you are right, outside the "city center", residentially zoned real estate doesn't get premium dollar. Even the wood in the homes has been infused with the smell.....hmmm, isn't that word used with a different intent these days?

I do feel bad in a way for you only that you want out and feel stuck.....to me, you still live in a pretty nice place with lots of different habitats close by. I hope it works out that you can be happy where you live.

Yard sale? I wonder how many old couples with too much time that show at 5am are searching for all correct 1973 kawasaki tool sets at 3-500 bills each? Doesn't really sound like my marketplace does it? LOL I will be forced into doing the fleabay thing again and my alter ego "Amber" will be back! I use a fake name/persona on fleabay and ship from outside my zipcode. No drama that way. I don't need folks knowing who I am & where I live on fleabay. This group I trust, that one, not a chance!

I saw my chiro and he has met Kerry....he's thrilled, then like a little kid he said "does that I mean I won't get to see you anymore?" It made me feel good....but he's been a blessing in so many ways...not sure what I'll do about the distance yet....it'll work itself out I imagine, just like all this will.

Needles and pins till Fri evening.....I just want to hear someone else say "from the looks of your finances, your plan is sound" I'm liable to jump up and scream "Emancipation" if he does.....I'm really so done with "work". In less than I year I went from setting my protégé loose to being fully ready to leave. Cool huh? My 1st job was in '69 @ 12 years old on a farm 10hrs per day 7 days a week @ .50 per hour. I will not miss working, ever! Not one little teensy weensy bit and admittedly, I had the worlds second best career(Tom's got the best) so there's a lot of fun memories. Besides, work is just in the way now that I don't need it.

Some folks here will get this, many won't and that's okay too....I cannot express the pure loathing inside that I have had my entire life for the "rat race". To cross the line doesn't make it ok with me, it just makes it over.

Too much coffee today guys, sorry...I'm putting up a wireless winched material lift running on Unistrut rails in the garage at the house over the Christmas break or at least doing a design, drawing and getting the material. It will give me easy access to a huge garage attic space. It has a fold down 10foot tall stairway but it's sketchy at best and carrying anything up them is taking "a chance".
Utube will show me how to frame it, right? I am a disaster with wood. I have all the tools, none of the required talent! It's usually pretty ugly, frustration, lots of bad words, letting Kerry take over....utterly humiliating. Too bad I can't frame it in pipe, I'm a wiz with that stuff & don't use colorful language either!

W, I don't think that Kerry is always correct but I do know that she is a "salt of the Earth" person so everything that comes out of her heart comes from a good place. That's why I can't get angry at her. I can also count on 1 hand the # of times that she's had to open her own door outside of when it's raining, every man for themselves. When you have Wonder woman.....you do whatever, to keep her happy because she has a choice too!
RE: paper mill.
I spent my last year of high school in a really good town, Poplarville MS. My mother was a shopper and Bogalusa LA was just across the Pearl River bridge and had quality shopping. But it relied on the paper mill for money. Stunk badly of course. On really bad stink days when the poisonous fog was right in town, she'd have to turn right around and take me home.

Years later they paid out much money because of all the town's health issues. Probably still paying.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Got a piece of paper S?

You better take care of Kerry one way or another.😜 you need her bad 🤗😁

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We had a paper mill in Michigan where I grew up. It did smell bad but only the area immediately around it. Couldn't smell it unless you had to go near it.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You know Z, there's probably a triple out there in the garage or an engine in the basement that we can get to you somehow to tinker with. If you have the motivation, we'll get it to you and worry about anything else, later. I gotta downsize anyway. You let me know what you're interested in and have space for and I'll see what I've got. Bike, basketcase,...let me know. Kaws and Zuks...all, two strokes.

I kind of felt guilty shaking Brandon's hand yesterday morning before he left for a meeting I would have gone to last year. He's off tomorrow. I know I'm leaving and he does not yet. I don't like doing that but Kerry & I decided to wait till after the first of the yr. We've got a morning brunch for the office, then a party for all the field guys. I really want to bag the day but I think it would be a bush league move so I'll be there but I'll bug out before the field guys come in.

Kerry & I are going to the wedding venue today to talk with them about our idea to take all 6 rooms fri and sat nights and after the dinner for the wedding group & since we have the building to ourselves, have an open reception for the day. It would be much more convenient than schlepping folks 2 blocks away to another room. The innkeeper also caters so this is right up her alley we think. We'll see. We'd probably have about 150 folks that would mill in during the course of the day and it could be casual, dressed but casual. I'll let Kerry talk to her...she has a way with folks and the lady has been really gracious. We'll go chat with her before going to see the financial guy.

Woke at 11pm, big surprise! LOL Have laundry going and I just emptied the dishwasher. I want to wrap Kerry gifts but I only have birthday paper....ah well! Well, it's Jesus's birthday, right? See, it all works!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
From the looks of your finances your plan is sound.

Ta-da!

I'm actually happy. I know how it all ends.

RE: paper mill.
I spent my last year of high school in a really good town, Poplarville MS. My mother was a shopper and Bogalusa LA was just across the Pearl River bridge and had quality shopping. But it relied on the paper mill for money. Stunk badly of course. On really bad stink days when the poisonous fog was right in town, she'd have to turn right around and take me home.

Years later they paid out much money because of all the town's health issues. Probably still paying.
The town where I grew up. Rock Hill South Carolina was a mill town also. The mill was the towns primary income source.
It polluted the Catawba river and stunk like Hell.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The little city I grew up in used to have a paper mill on the outskirts of it. I'm glad I can't remember what the stink smelled like. Sometimes old age memory loss isn't a bad thing 😉