Mallow transplant question

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I found a small mallow plant in a friends yard. She had weeded her yard and told me I could pick through her piles for the tortoises. So I did and picked a small mallow plant from her side yard. Most of the tap root is in tact so I really hoping to salvage it for a grow! I put it in a far of water, just the taproot submerged until I could figure out what I can do to save it. Ideas? Tips? Will putting it water keep it alive? Will it grow more roots? Should I quickly get it into soil?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395676204.450540.jpg

Oh and anyone know what this is?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1395676236.432937.jpg

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The second plant looks like Angel's trumpet (Datura) - toxic.

I've never had luck transplanting weeds. You can try. It might help to dip the roots in vitamin B before planting, and while its trying to get over the shock of being transplanted, don't let it dry out completely. But not too wet either.

If you can ever find seeds of the mallow, they germinate readily and quickly.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I transplant Mallow (along with other weeds) ALL the time! I live next to a large empty lot. Sometimes I see good stuff growing and just have to move it into the tort pens ;)

I water the area where I want to put the weed first, then poke my finger as deep as I can into the dirt. It makes a deep impression and I put the weed roots into the hole then press all the dirt around it firmly and water again.

I have great success with this. In fact, I transplanted a large mallow the other day. A few hours after I transplanted it, the whole plant look withered but I left it alone. I just came inside from watering and saw that this same mallow has perked up and is doing great. :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Yvonne G said:
The second plant looks like Angel's trumpet (Datura) - toxic.

I've never had luck transplanting weeds. You can try. It might help to dip the roots in vitamin B before planting, and while its trying to get over the shock of being transplanted, don't let it dry out completely. But not too wet either.

If you can ever find seeds of the mallow, they germinate readily and quickly.

Thanks Yvonne, I'm going to start looking in the woods for some mallow. Hopefully I will spot some and I can keep track of it for when it goes to seed.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Team Gomberg said:
I transplant Mallow (along with other weeds) ALL the time! I live next to a large empty lot. Sometimes I see good stuff growing and just have to move it into the tort pens ;)

I water the area where I want to put the weed first, then poke my finger as deep as I can into the dirt. It makes a deep impression and I put the weed roots into the hole then press all the dirt around it firmly and water again.

I have great success with this. In fact, I transplanted a large mallow the other day. A few hours after I transplanted it, the whole plant look withered but I left it alone. I just came inside from watering and saw that this same mallow has perked up and is doing great. :)

So will putting it in water just kill it? Lol. I'm going to prepare a pot of soil. Should I use peat? Organic garden mix? A combination of the two?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Elohi ....have you herd of "Rockwool" ? It is a "SUPER" medium for rooting cuttings , retains water - neutral PH , and plenty of O2 room for new roots to grow. Can be obtained at most Hydroponic stores. Comes in cubes 1" , 4" and even larger " mat type" . Give it shot....
Very easy to use and once cutting has established , you just bury the whole thing down into your new medium/area.

J~:)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Mallow is such a pretty weed!!! Thanks for think links! I am going to order some.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Elohi said:
Mallow is such a pretty weed!!! Thanks for think links! I am going to order some.

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

I ordered this afternoon and should have them by the weekend for planting. The Russians need to get out of my living room. The poor guys are so couped up. These seeds will grow their grazing food in their garden.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
These look pretty enough for the landscaping in my front yard. Will they take over? LOL. Not if I'm trimming leaves and picking flowers for the babies! Haha!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The weed "mallow" (malva neglecta) is not the same as the landscape plant "mallow" or malva sylvestris. Same family, but neglecta truly is a weed.

Elohi said:
I put it in a far of water, just the taproot submerged until I could figure out what I can do to save it. Ideas? Tips? Will putting it water keep it alive? Will it grow more roots? Should I quickly get it into soil?

The quicker you can get it into some sort of planting medium, the better. When you keep plants' roots in water, they roots get used to the ease of pulling up the nutrients, then you plant it in soil and its hard for the roots to acclimate to getting the nutrients from the soil.

Dorrie Siu

Elohi said:
These look pretty enough for the landscaping in my front yard. Will they take over? LOL. Not if I'm trimming leaves and picking flowers for the babies! Haha!

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

Yes, they take over. Before I had Dorrie, I was trying so hard to get rid of it, it covered maybe 75% of my yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Elohi said:

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

I like it too. The leaves remind me of nasturtiums. Mallow has been a mainstay of my tortoise's diets for about 5 months of the year every year for a long time. It doesn't like the hot weather, but it grows great all winter long here as long as we get some rain. I can still get it to grow a little with sprinklers, but it really likes the rain. I haven't had any trouble getting it to spread. I let some go to seed every year then I rip the whole plant up in late spring and take it over to where I want the new patch to grow and shake it all up. Then I just drop it there and leave it alone all summer and fall. The next winter when the rains and cold weather come back it sprouts and takes hold. I love the stuff!

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
I've spent the last 15 years trying to rid my yard of mallows and now I'm going start to encourage them, what irony!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Elohi said:

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

The malva sylvestris is a bush and doesn't self propagate, however, the malva neglecta is a weed with many, many seed pods and inside each pod are hundreds of seeds. These spread over your whole property in just a season.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Elohi - Thank you for posting the question! And thank you to everyone who answered. I found some Mallow growing today when I visited some friends at a campground. I dug them up and brought them home to give transplanting them a try. If they make it, I'll be thrilled, but if they don't they already have seed pods on them so I'll be collecting seed and seeding the enclosures and a flower pot or two as well.

Hopefully, I'll find some more since most are probably going to seed with the heat we've been having. Great time to take the quad out and go seed hunting.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You are still gonna save me some seeds this year, right? :D

Yes, of course...

Nope! It's mine all mine!! *rubs hands evilly*

Well, I am not certain of where exactly "A land far away" is....but if you believe they will do well there, or even if you simply want to try, I will be happy to gather some for you as well ;)