Male Russian tortoise stopped eating when separated.

NYGiants-1925

Location (City and/or State)
Catskills NY
After 3 days of putting the 2 back together for feeding I kept them separate last night. And he did eat without any tricks. Only one day so far but hopefully this keeps up. Maybe he just needed to be weaned a bit.

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY
Well he was eating for a few days on his own but then has stopped again. I tried putting him back in with her for feeding time, but now he just shakes his head at her and bites her legs. So he is looking for something more than food there, and I can't do that to her. I never wanted to use this but I am wondering what you guys think of trying some kind of pellet food on top of the greens?
I have never used pellet food , so if you think I should try it, what brand do you think would be best?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Poor guy...
Using pellets might work. There is one type - Mazuri 5M21 (not Mazuri LS) which is often readily eaten. Later on, you can use it as a supplement for grocery greens once/twice a week.

ZooMed Grassland is a better choice (in terms of fiber ratio and contents), but only some torts eat it from the start. Same for Mazuri LS. Get small bags to try them out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Your tortoise is bossing you around and manipulating your life. He needs to be put by himself far away from any others permanently and fed normally every day whether or not he eats. He will not starve himself to death.

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY
Poor guy...
Using pellets might work. There is one type - Mazuri 5M21 (not Mazuri LS) which is often readily eaten. Later on, you can use it as a supplement for grocery greens once/twice a week.

ZooMed Grassland is a better choice (in terms of fiber ratio and contents), but only some torts eat it from the start. Same for Mazuri LS. Get small bags to try them out.
Thanks, I will order that and give it a try.

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY
Your tortoise is bossing you around and manipulating your life. He needs to be put by himself far away from any others permanently and fed normally every day whether or not he eats. He will not starve himself to death.
I hope you are right. Because they are not going together anymore. Thanks.

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY
Okay I am updating. He has now eaten for 6 days in a row. Not as much as he used to eat, but at least it's something. I am thinking he will adjust eventually but it seems it was loneliness that may have caused this. Because I will feed him and he will look at it and walk away. But (and I know I will probably anger people with this) when the cat, who seems to love the tortoises, goes in to lay with him, he will eat every time. The one day he went hours without taking a bite, I just put the cat in and he immediately started eating. The cat just lays within a few inches of the tortoise, and he chows down. Kinda crazy, but that's what's happening.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I don't have years of experience with tortoises. Here's my two cents worth. If I change one thing in my gargoyle, crested or leachy gecko's tanks they won't eat for three plus weeks.

So what you described to me sounds like he only ate when you put him back with the other is because he was resource guarding/hogging to keep it from the other tortoise and the same thing with the cat. He jumps in to hog all the food for himself. It is stressing him out. So keep the cat away, give him time and stop moving him around.

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY
I don't have years of experience with tortoises. Here's my two cents worth. If I change one thing in my gargoyle, crested or leachy gecko's tanks they won't eat for three plus weeks.

So what you described to me sounds like he only ate when you put him back with the other is because he was resource guarding/hogging to keep it from the other tortoise and the same thing with the cat. He jumps in to hog all the food for himself. It is stressing him out. So keep the cat away, give him time and stop moving him around.
Might have a point there. Didn't think of that. I was hoping to move them outdoors next month for the rest of Spring and Summer. You think moving him again would be a bad idea?

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Might have a point there. Didn't think of that. I was hoping to move them outdoors next month for the rest of Spring and Summer. You think moving him again would be a bad idea?
I think it would be a great idea. Mine when moved outside only took about 15-20 minutes before they started to explore. Just make sure they are still not together and all that sunshine might snap him out of his mood.

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY
Just an update. He seems to be doing well now. He been eating everyday for a few weeks now. Cat or no cat. He knows when I get home from work it's feeding time and is looking for me. Not a fan of collard greens but other than that he eats everything I give him. Starting to plan the outdoor enclosure. So once they are outside, I can work more on the indoor enclosures. Thinking of making a 2nd story.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I really appreciate you all for the help.