Male or Female?

Amanda B.

Hi, I have two Sulcata tortoises & I'm wondering if they are now big enough to tell their gender? & if so any guesses?

This is Chuck...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467934516.697337.jpg

This is Chick...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467934592.106065.jpg

Last edited:

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
How big is Chuck? Its still early, but my guess is that you've got Chuck and Chick's names backward. Chuck looks like a chick and Chik looks like a Chuck.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I think it's much too early to tell, my Sully is over 10" and we still don't know.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467938698.367907.jpg

Amanda B.

How big is Chuck? Its still early, but my guess is that you've got Chuck and Chick's names backward. Chuck looks like a chick and Chik looks like a Chuck.

Chuck is about 5". They are 1.5 maybe 2 years old. Ohh gosh, I had a feeling their names weren't going to match what they actually are.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Chuck is about 5". They are 1.5 maybe 2 years old. Ohh gosh, I had a feeling their names weren't going to match what they actually are.

Lol, they're still small. I wouldn't invest in changing their names just yet. Its just educated guesses at this point and could go either way.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
C'mon, people, take a guess! That's half the fun (especially when you name them for the wrong sex). :D

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
BTW, there is another rule: if you name a pet for the wrong sex, you MUST forever keep that name. Doesn't matter if Betsy is a 200lb sulcata stud male, he remains Betsy forever. :D

Amanda B.

Lol, they're still small. I wouldn't invest in changing their names just yet. Its just educated guesses at this point and could go either way.

If it turns out that I have their names backwards I can't change them it just wouldn't feel right lol

Amanda B.

BTW, there is another rule: if you name a pet for the wrong sex, you MUST forever keep that name. Doesn't matter if Betsy is a 200lb sulcata stud male, he remains Betsy forever. :D

Haha yes! No matter how manly Chick ends up to be he/she will always remain Chick!