Malayan box turtle care ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newhatching

5 Year Member
I cant really find any good care sheets on malayan box turtles as pets or in captivity .

My friend had one for over a year and was moving and gave it to me .

I would like to know the size of enclosure needed ect .

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I used to. They need a pretty large enclosure because they require a half land, half water kind of set up. 2' X 4' would be the absolute minimum, and really that is a bit too small. The water should be relatively shallow, the deepest point just covering the top of the shell and gradually leading up to the land. The biggest issue with the water area is filtration - it requires one HECK of a filter to keep clean. The land area should be kept nice and humid, with a lot of leaf litter and some non-toxic plants, like certain ferns, pothos, etc.

Diet is pretty much the same as any box turtle. Worms and insects, mushrooms, fruit, greens, and fish/minnows.

Newhatching

5 Year Member
What temperature should the terrarium be and should there be a basking spot ?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Newhatching said:
What temperature should the terrarium be and should there be a basking spot ?

A low wattage basking spot of 30C will be enough. The rest of the enclosure should be in the 25-28C range.

Newhatching

5 Year Member
Thanks for the information .

I cannot get her to eat much , she has ate very little I have had minows swimming in her water pool for over a week with no luck . I let her soak in the warm tub yesterday and was more active in there but as soon as I pit her in her enclosure shes hiding under her furn .

I have 150 wat basking bulb , the subsitrate is damp coconut fiber " ecoearth "

Status
Not open for further replies.