Mahons' Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahons

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hey guys this will be my first post I just signed up, I'm pretty set on getting a redfoot, although it'll be my first tortoise. I have a couple of questions about what type of enclosure I should get, because I live in england it gets pretty cold and the summers are short, so I think an indoor enclosure would be best. I have a 6 foot by 3 foot space for an indoor Tortoise Table, but I'm not sure how I would go around making one for a redfoot. Also i'll be getting him at the age of 1 roughly, how big are they at that age? Would they need a Tortoise Table that size or would a large vivarium do? - I'm not sure how I would keep the humidity up with a Tortoise Table, also the growth rate is a factor. Please post your reccomendations on what to do. Thanks.

mahons

5 Year Member
England
What are the sizes of large vivariums exactly? foot by foot?

mahons

5 Year Member
England
We're not set in stone about the 6 x 3, its where my bed is at the moment and we plan on having a bunkbed, but converting the bottom bunk into a Tort-Table. My room isn't that big though. I have a long empty strip available in my room, its about 1 and a half, maybe two feet, by 8 or 9 feet. Which would be better? 6 x 3 or 2 x 8?

How would I go about heating a humidifying a close top Tort-Table? Heat mats and misting, and various plants?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Balboa said:
generally speaking its nearly impossible to get the heat and humidity high enough in an open top table, unless you heat and humidify the entire room.

or partially cover it.

Hi Mahons:

Welcome to the forum!!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
the rule of thumb I see most often is 4 times shell length by 8 times shell length. That implies an enclosure twice as long as wide is "ideal" . I suspect though, that this is really a matter of space efficiency. This is basically the optimum configuration to maximize square footage and have enough length to establish a temperature gradient.

3x6=18 square feet
2x8=16 square feet

both are long enough to establish a heat gradient. That being said most of our redfoot experts these days are saying that a gradient isn't needed for redfoots.

I placed a humidifier in my redfoot enclosure, and incoming air is ducted through that humidifier.

Other folks do it simpler and soak the substrate. Seems to work for them, but redfoots are prone to shell rot. As much as they like it warm and humid, they don't like it wet on their bottoms.

Since both of mine came to me with shell rot, I work extra hard at keeping the water in the air, not the substrate.

Heat cables or mats are a very effective way as well, especially when combined with the soaking method. This will help combat the evaporative cooling effect on the substrate.

mahons

5 Year Member
England
Ok well I think I'm going to start with a vivarium, I'm interested in a humidifier because ofcourse I don't want my Tortoise's shell to become damaged.

And the other method is heat mats with soaking the substrate? How would I go about soaking the substrate, just leaving it in water before placing it?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Soaking the substrate just means dumping a bunch of water on it daily. Many keepers also stir the substrate at this time.

mahons

5 Year Member
England
Okay thanks for the help. What is a good substrate to use for a yearling?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I like dirt. If available in your area MANY keepers swear by Cypress Mulch. Orchid Bark is another good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.