Made a VERY humid hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Last summer I bought a floating island for my pond. I left it in there all summer and winter to let it get established. I took it out now and am using it for the top of Pio's hide. I'm renovating his pen a little so I only have pictures of his hide until I finish the rest of the pen ......probably tomorrow. Anyway....here's the hide. Inside I have lots of long fiber moss and some leaf litter. As it grows more in the Summer, the creeping jenny should go down the sides creating more of a cave effect. I put my humidity gage in there and it read 90. I didn't take a picture though as I had to bring it back upstairs for Pio's viv.

007-24.jpg

005-32.jpg

003-28.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a great idea! That Pio is so lucky ;)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Terry, What is that? Is it on a rock? Will it live?
Explain, to this brain> Please//
Thanks Na

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Beautiful Terry. It's hard to tell how big it is in the pictures. I just wanted to know how you bring Pio in at night (how do you reach him in there)?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It is a large piece of ...sponge like stuff. I put holes in it and then dirt. Then I planted some Creeping Jenny, ornimantal grass, dandelions. I left it in the pond all last summer and this past winter eveything came back. I wanted it to get established. Now the creeping jenny should start hanging down the sides and it will form a cave. I have it on top of bricks...three on each side for hight. The back is closed with bricks too. Now I just have to keep the BIG sponge moist when I water it. I'll see how it makes out this summer. This is looking down on it...
006-29.jpg

This is the enclosure from last year. You can see the size because Pio is in front of it.
001-12.jpg

This is it floating in my pond last summer.
005-14.jpg

Candy...sometimes I have to lay on the side and stick my hand in there to get him. He goes all the way in the back of the hide. When the weather is warm, I leave him out all night, otherwise I take him in. So far he only went out two days and came in at night. Now it's in the high 50's so it will be a while before he goes out again. I'm just getting everything ready for the Summer....I can't wait any more.

M

Maggie Cummings

Just freakin beautiful...could I pay you to come make something like that for my box turtles?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
maggie3fan said:
Just freakin beautiful...could I pay you to come make something like that for my box turtles?

I'm starting my new boxie garden next week. It's going to be 22' x 7' can't wait! I wish I was there to help you with everything Maggie.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
TerryO is THE OFFICIAL "HOW TO MAKE A FUNCTIONAL AND BEAUTIFUL ENCLOSURE FOR YOUR REDFOOT TORTOISE".. LADY!!!

Period - because I say so and she's the best.. and everybody else is wrong; because I said so!

NERD

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
That is a great idea! Hopefully I can create something like that for my cherry head when he is large enough for the outdoor pen. Thanks for sharing!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.